Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Dog The Bounty Hunter: Racist?

[ QUOTE ]
Let's review:

95% of black males in Washington DC are semi-criminal or entirely criminal, 13 year old black males are as big, strong, tough and scary as any adult, and they're also unbelievably fleet footed: not racist.

"There is probably less than four of five percent that are minorities...so look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you’re dealing with”: not racist.

Ordering your son to break up with a black girl because you use the word n****r too much around the house: not racist.

What actually *is* racist? Wait, I know. It's when a black man calls somebody a cracker, right? That nasty political correctness virus is victimizing the white man once again!

[/ QUOTE ]

For reference, here is what the University of Delaware says a racist is (emphasis mine)....

[ QUOTE ]
A RACIST: A racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality. By this definition, people of color cannot be racists, because as peoples within the U.S. system, they do not have the power to back up their prejudices, hostilities, or acts of discrimination. (This does not deny the existence of such prejudices, hostilities, acts of rage or discrimination.)" - Page 3

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from here.

Your definitions of racism seem to be very much in line with this thinking. Congratulations. You would be perfect for UoD because they wouldn't need to create a secret file on you.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 AM

WGAF, is Americas Next Top Model racist, now thats important.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching BET last night and I think I saw a commercial for an all black equivalent show. So plainly America's Next Top Model is racist, but the all black equivalent show is not.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was watching BET last night and I think I saw a commercial for an all black equivalent show. So plainly America's Next Top Model is racist, but the all black equivalent show is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

at least that would make an interesting thread
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you listen to the content of that phone call, Dog is saying that the girlfriend is trying to tape the family using the N word and that's why he doesn't want her around.

Something doesn't pass the smell test here. This is a publicity stunt? A setup? Something is definately not above board on this.

So, if Dog's kid is found out as having been manipulated into "outing" is dad, will Dog shoot him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how this could be a publicity stunt, unless they are complete morAns... Well, ok I guess it could be one, but JESUS what a stupid one to pull.

BTW, his son won't get shot he will get sprayed with Bear Mace, BRA.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your definitions of racism seem to be very much in line with this thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, okay, good example of a politically correct idiot writing a student handbook. Of course, that's so out of line with reality that it makes national news and nobody bothers to defend it. Plenty of people seem to be willing to defend "black males are unbelievably fleet-footed" as a factual statement, though!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

that phone callw as a lot more innocuous than i thought it would be.

the real problem here is that he called his son's girlfriend a n******

personally i don't use the word at all. my brother does in the context of rap lyrics. if i'm singing along or reciting a verse i use "jigger" as a replacement so as not to have to say the word. he thinks its just a word in that context and i asked him "if you were hanging out with [name of one of his close black friends], telling him about a line you heard w/ the word in it, would you say n****?" and he said no...

anyways, the point of that is to say that the use of the word is not a sufficient condition to identify a racist. nor is it a necessary condition. the attitude and prejudices a person has identifies him/her as a racist.

i don't think that there is enough information in that phone call to clearly state w/o doubt that dog is a racist.

the problem for him though, is that he sure SOUNDS like a racist w/ the "i don't want some n***** hearing me say the word n*****" so instead of simply NOT SAYING THE WORD, he chooses to remove the girl from the picture?? thats kinda odd but possibly not racist.

odds are definitely long against him being not racist, but use of the word doesn't automatically classify him as such.

sharpton i'm sure will require kissing of his ass as repentance though.

Barron

PS- while getting my MBA in st.louis 4 of my closest friends and those i hung out w/ the most were black from varying backgrounds (midwest and southern religious guys, and 2 senegalese guys). i asked what they thought about the word and they all basically said "it is an offensive word, i typically wouldn't be friends w/ somebody i heard use it in an offensive manner." the 2 senegalese wouldn't ever even use the word and the southerner would use it only w/ his black friends and the midwest calls all of his friends his n*****s (including me)...so go figure.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:16 PM

As someone who has watched Dog's show more than I care to admit, I feel like I should weigh in here...

I really think you should watch a couple episodes of the show before passing judgement on Duane Chapman. Although he comes off as very brash, and at times abrasive while tracking down a fugitive or revoking someone's bond, what happens after the capture is very telling of his personality.

He is constantly trying to help people, give them second chances, get them into rehab, or even offer them employment. Regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender he constantly and consistantly treats people who society generally looks down upon as equals who happen to be at a low point in life.

I think there is a lot more to the story than we know regarding his personal relationship with his son's girlfriend. I am persuaded much more by his actions, rather than words spoken in a moment of anger.

my 2 cents, FWIW
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your definitions of racism seem to be very much in line with this thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, okay, good example of a politically correct idiot writing a student handbook. Of course, that's so out of line with reality that it makes national news and nobody bothers to defend it. Plenty of people seem to be willing to defend "black males are unbelievably fleet-footed" as a factual statement, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that material is not out of line with reality. It was part of a mandatory cirriculum at a major reeducation (ahem) university. It really was. Really. Real.

Do you also think that a black woman carrying a tape recorder to hopefully catch the famous parent of her white boyfriend saying the N word (perhaps for extortion purposes) is out of line with reality, too? Is it impossible for her to be a racist and motivated to carry the tape recorder because of her hatred for honkies? Please tell me, what is and is not in line with reality?

Note for the record: I have said nothing about your strawman of "black males are unbelievably fleet-footed" to either support or refute the notion. That is completely irrelevant to the discussion. The question is about this "girl friend" of D. Chapman's son, and her motivations and prejudices.

P.S. All political correctness is idiotic.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM

I think the main issue is : Context , which we dont have all the info on.