Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Trapping, When is Enough Enough ?

So basically I was watching some High Stakes NL on Full Tilt and saw how often these guys would smooth call with a set and whatnot presumably in order to potentially break their opponents. I decided to try a similar approach in this hand.
After flopping top set vs. two opponents, the original raiser (tight player who I put on a premium hand) leads out on the flop and I smooth call and the other player folds. Turns fills me up and I have the board more or less crippled and my opponent drawing to two outs. So when villain bets the turn I min raise with my boat. However, unlike the HS guys it turned out badly for me as my opponent rivered a two outter for set over set and I lost a buyin.

This leaves me wondering if I should have raised more on turn, or moved all in? Or did I play it right and just get unlucky? What am I expecting my opponent to make here that I can beat?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $28.27
BB: $33.75
UTG: $53.02
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $26.65</font>
CO: $25.80
BTN: $52.25

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $2.00</font>, Hero calls $2.00, SB folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($7.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $3.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $6.00</font>, UTG calls $3.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($19.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $10.00</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $20.00</font>, Hero calls all-in for $7.65
Uncalled bet of $2.35 returned to UTG

Pot Size: $54.55 ($2.70 Rake)

UTG had K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a full house, Kings full of Sixes) and WON ( $25.20)
Hero had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a full house, Tens full of Sixes) and LOST (-$26.65)
Old 05-12-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Trapping, When is Enough Enough ?

If you want to slowplay do it on dry boards. I.E. Kc7d2s. This is a horrible board to slowplay on. How do you/villian feel about your/his hand after a third diamond/str8 card rolls off facing a lot of heat? A lot of cards are bad for both of you. It's going to kill the action for someone. Stick in a raise to 9 on the flop and hope to get all in. On the turn you could bet 50% of the pot trying to get any draws to come along with you. You hope they hit and bust them on the river. If the guy rivered a bigger boat, oh well. This hand was played poorly, but you were destined to get stacked anyway. The guy with KK should have shoved after you correctly made a flop raise.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 AM

What he said. Pray for a "wet" board when you hit a set so you can raise it and get a push from something that has almost no equity. This ones a beaut -- flush and straight draws galore. On a dry board, conversely, you're not afraid of someone hitting, and if you raise you've got air or hit -- easier for your opponent to get away.

HSP -- they're playing deeeeep, live poker. Makes playing sets and stuff different. I don't play often with 300BB or more, and would have no idea how to.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:00 AM

When playing micro stakes there is absolutely no need to make moves like this. How would you have felt if the turn had been 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] rather than 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

When this happens you're either beat, and it'll cost you a chunk of your stack to find out or you're ahead and you're incredibly unlikely to get action because villain is scared of a 3 flush 4 straight board.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Its been said already, but this flop is a terrible place to slow play for the aforementioned reasons...I won't harp.

As for getting rivered by a 2 outer....you should not be playing results oriented poker. You took a bad beat, it doesn't mean you could have/should have done something different. In this situation, theres not much you could have done to lose villan before the river....nor do you want him gone.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Anytime is too much
Old 05-12-2007, 04:27 PM

You're not playing HSP.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:06 PM

The reason that the players do this on HSP but you never should in this case is NOT becase they are playing for 100k and you are playing for 25 dollars, and it's NOT because they are way better at poker than you. It's because the reason you see them do it on HSP is they need to mix up their play against people who know their games and pick up on patterns very quickly. To say "never do this at NL25" is nonsense (though on this board I think slowplaying is really really really bad like always), but to say "never do this against an unknown" at whatever stakes you're playing is probably one of the few generalities that hold true in poker. It's not about the stakes you're playing for, it's about the people you're playing with, what you know about them, and what they think (or know) about you.

Adam
Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 PM

This was my first post and I have to say I'm impressed with the feedback so far. Thanks to those who posted.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 PM

dude...shove the flop. if he has an overpair JJ+ lol...he never folds. lol.