Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:13 AM

Default AK v short stack

Im still struggling with how to play AK in no limit and would like to get some feedback on how i should be thinking in this type of situation. I know in a tournament it would probably be an easy call but not sure about how i should play in a cash game. I have seen me fold AK in this type of situation to a reraise this size as often it means im up against AA, KK, QQ especially if the guy has a bigger stack but given mp1's short stack i know he is likely to make this play with a wider range of hands. Should I be willing to call his allin reraise given that i am a slight dog to a pocket pair. Seems like its wrong to get the money in when im taking slightly the worst of it. I felt that If he had just called i would probably have made a continuation bet anyway which would basically have committed him to the rest of his chips so decided to call. How do you guys think when faced with an allin reraise with AK against a short stack and how big of an allin are you willing to call in this type of situation.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $74.11
Hero: $23.95
UTG+2: $15.50
MP1: $3.55
MP2: $9.50
MP3: $16.95
CO: $26.45
Button: $17.90
SB: $22.40
BB: $22

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises all-in $3.55</font>, 6 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($7.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $7.5)

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($7.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $7.5)

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($7.5, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $7.5)

Results:
Final pot: $7.5
<font color="#ffffff">MP1 shows 9c 9s</font>
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows Kd Ad</font>
Old 03-29-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: AK v short stack

His range is wide enough and stack small enough to make this a good call.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 AM

First of all in this case, this is an easy call. With the blinds, your raise, and the villain's reraise you only need to call about $2.80 for a chance to win a $4.70 pot, so you are getting about 1.7-1 on your call and are only about a 1.1-1 dog to an underpair. You are closing the action on this hand also. When you add the fact that villain could have a worse ace or even something like K-Qs, this is an easy call because you are actually much better than 1.1-1 dog against villain's range. You are not taking the worst of it.

The decision to call an all-in with AK comes down to the pot odds and villain's range based on their tendencies and current mood (i.e., are they on tilt after losing a big hand, etc.).
Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 AM

His raise makes the pot about 4.70 and it is ~2.75 to call. So you aren't getting a little less t hat 2:1 on a call. I think he would do this with hands other than AA or KK. I think pocket pairs down to 77, or so, would play this way. Also, I think he may do this with a worse A or maybe even KQ. I would call this one.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 AM

This is an easy call I think. AK is atleast a 3-1 favorite online vs an underpair, atleast it is when I have 88-QQ.

Sucks the guy made a boat, but you made the correct call.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy call I think. AK is atleast a 3-1 favorite online vs an underpair, atleast it is when I have 88-QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saying I always lose races with an underpair vs AKs. I was trying to make a joke [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]