Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Question for an Atheist\'s Lifestyle?

Referring the poll that was recently done, the majority of posters on this forum are Atheists, that is a given.....

Now, I am not an Atheist, but if I were, I would more than likely lead a completely hedonistic lifestyle as I would have no judgement to be worried about facing... I could do whatever I wanted without worrying about any consequences except for legal ramifications, societies outlook, and possibly family consequences....

However, I could possibly rape, murder, steal, grab womens' asses in public, smash cars with bats if the driver cut me off, embezzle, beat down someone to a bloody pulp in a basketball game if they talked smack, then bang his girlfriend while he had to watch taped down to a chair, cheat on my wife or girlfriend with no worries, hustle people out of large sums of money, pretty much anything and everything that gave me pleasure and would lead to me the top.... Sex, money, and power would be your mantra....

However, if this was me, I know I could not do these things because of the morality I feel within..... My conscience would not allow me to do these awful things.... I would have pleasure bringing down those who did commit these crimes against society.... Where does this morality come from.... Is it innate, or culturally created????

How do the atheists on this board and whomever else feel on this issue???
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Question for an Atheist\'s Lifestyle?

[ QUOTE ]
Is it innate, or culturally created????

[/ QUOTE ]

probably a bit of both?

i feel like i would need a religion to participate in most of the described acts...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do the atheists on this board and whomever else feel on this issue???

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazement over how many theists on here claim to be sociopaths that are kept in line by fear of a bigger and stronger sociopath.

luckyme
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, I am not an Atheist, but if I were, I would more than likely lead a completely hedonistic lifestyle as I would have no judgement to be worried about facing... I could do whatever I wanted without worrying about any consequences except for legal ramifications, societies outlook, and possibly family consequences....

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be an atheist if you behaved in this way for the given reasons. You'd be some kind of reverse theist. Or something. i.e behaving that way because you know that you won't undergo divine judgment, you acknowledge the existence of that judgment.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM

I am a theist now - however as an atheist I recognised a number of moral laws which (to me) seemed as obvious and objective as laws of mathematics and logic. I personally dont see any problem with the existence of morality irrespective of whether there's some being there to infallibly point it out to us.

I think we all have access to morality and can know what's "good" and what's not. I dont think whether you believe the world was made by a non-physical, supreme being has any bearing on whether you should steal.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Amazement over how many theists on here claim to be sociopaths that are kept in line by fear of a bigger and stronger sociopath.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree - it seems such an obvious confession, yet seems to be regarded as a slam dunk against atheism. Kind of scary really. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Yea, I do all those things. It is pretty awesome and very fulfilling. Maybe you should give it a try?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Srsly. wtf.

OP, leading a "good" lifestyle is innate to a degree because it is good life-strategy to be nice and stuff. We learn a lot from observing people and things around us too. Seems kind of obvious, no? I think you are trying to make a point but I am not sure what it is.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Thank god you are a theist which prevents you from doing all those things
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, if this was me, I know I could not do these things because of the morality I feel within..... My conscience would not allow me to do these awful things.... I would have pleasure bringing down those who did commit these crimes against society.... Where does this morality come from.... Is it innate, or culturally created????

[/ QUOTE ]

You already know the answer dude. your morality is innate. It comes from within. The inner conscience is all you need to do right thing. No belief in the supernatural is necessary, no fear of eternal punishment need be imagined.
If mankind wasn't born with innate morality, we would have died out long ago, or would have followed a wild course of devolpment. Humanity's success isn't just because of our intelligence. Civilization exists because man has an innate ability to cooperate with others.