Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Stud8 - play (A8)5 in this spot?

Should I fold or complete 3rd here with two low to act with my bad low hand + ace?

What do you think of 4th-6th? My line on river is bet and call a raise from Seat 6 but fold to a raise from seat 7. Seat 6 is unknown, seat 7 is regular that i respect.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1,50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.20 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (2.10 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.10 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (5.10 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (7.10 BB - $71)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - play (A8)5 in this spot?

3rd is fine. bet 4th. rest is standard. if seat 7 had hit a nonclub brick on 6th, i might have bet 6th.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:01 PM

bet 4th please
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM

What is the point of betting 4th? In my experience seat 6 nearly always has a better low hand here and an 8 is just so terrible. So betting 4th just seems like throwing away money most of the time. Of course he didn't have the better hand here, but usually he has ...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM

If betting 4th seems pointless, then calling a bet on 5th street shouldn't be far behind.

I would MUCH rather put a feeler bet out on 4th to see how the other (apparent) low draw reacts, and to also see how the high hand reacts. Sometimes, when a player has a high doorcard and BOTH of his opponents catch scary looking/connecting low boards (remember, he can't see what you have in the hole) they'll often bail out of the hand and won't even proceed to 5th street. I would love to have the chance to take your hand HU simply due to holding an Ace. Believe it or not, the Ace is HUGE in HU play, and playing HU also gives you other outs to fall on and it just helps you to win/buy the pot so much easier than opposed to having the third wheel with you.

And, the other advantage to betting 4th is, the bets are still small, and, you still have 3 cards to receive in which to draw to.

On 5th street, someone is already beating you for high, and now you're calling a big bet and you're drawing to a low hand that has very little high potential. Imo, your hand looked and WAS stronger on 4th. As it stands, the pot is small, and personally I would let it go as played.

And, given the cards that were out, raising 3rd street is totally fine. Even though you may not have 3 cards to a straight, at least you hold an Ace. When there's more low cards out or if someone already limped in with a low card, then I'm going to fold your hand a lot of the time, but this looks fine to me.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Sure the eight in your hand sucks; but you really don't know whether the bring-in's hand has actually improved, or if she caught a sucker pair of deuces, or started out with a pair, etc.

You may be behind for low. You may also be ahead for low. And if you aren't ahead, the bet can still set up a play on a later street if the villains catch bad cards.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd is fine. bet 4th. rest is standard. if seat 7 had hit a nonclub brick on 6th, i might have bet 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th is pretty nonstandard.

also, bet 4th.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5th is pretty nonstandard.

also, bet 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

u want to fold or raise?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:08 AM

I think any of your three options would be reasonable on third street, really. I think you chose the best one, as this a pretty good hand heads-up against a Jack.

Definitely bet fourth. The bring-in doesn't have to have much of anything. You took the initiative on third street--keep it. They don't know that you have an Eight in the hole.