Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: endgame, simplified hh. nlsng

Yep, at times, I have the emotional maturity of a twelve year old girl. I was also attacked earlier this week on these boards (if people really don't understand why I don't out my sn, it is because I am open about my leaks). I know where I need to improve, I am always searching where I should improve, and that is all.

Are you saying that the rest is fine?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM

I'd pass on the second K3o shove and just dump the hand. And I'd probably limp the J9 and be forced to fold to his shove. I'm not giving him the chiplead with J9 here. Just because you may be playing SAGE strategy doesn't mean that limping occasionally is pure evil. It should make them respect your next shove more anyway. And if you do happen to get dealt a monster in the next few hands you can limp and it won't look so suspiscious, they'll likely just shove any two. Other than that all I can say is that I wish I had a match where I was dealt half of the premium hands you posted. And PS I'm not an expert at HU SNGs so take it as you will. But my winrate is much better the longer the match goes. Too many early bluffs snapped off, I guess I need to stop doing that so much.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, at times, I have the emotional maturity of a twelve year old girl. I was also attacked earlier this week on these boards (if people really don't understand why I don't out my sn, it is because I am open about my leaks). I know where I need to improve, I am always searching where I should improve, and that is all.

Are you saying that the rest is fine?

[/ QUOTE ]
I looked over it quickly but yes.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:33 PM

Okay.

Feel like I am almost "there." Another 1k games it may finally hit me.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Adding comments in between these examples would have made for a more entertaining thread.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 AM

this might be a really dumb question but what does SAGE actually mean?

thx
Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 AM

[S]it [A]nd [G]o [E]nd game (system).

Alternatively, it means the bees in daveT's bonnet.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 AM

hey dave, came a bit late to this thread but just thought i'd add that i think everyone finds it really frustrating when you've grinded your opponent down to nothing and just have to finish the job off. So being annoyed about then losing the game or taking ages to kill the bugger is understandable, but at least you are coming here asking questions about whether or not there are any errors in your play.

yesterday i played a game where i was down to 30 chips, 1 big blind and i went on to win the game. Now i didn't play amazing poker and my opponent did pretty much nothing wrong, i felt really sorry for him as he just could not win a race or suckout on me, whereas i won every race and sucked out on him a number of times. I think every once in a while you get that rare game where to quote dennis hopper you're opponent "is like a turd that won't flush". You just have to move on and think about the multitude of games where you do finish off your opponent and dont even think about it.

Anyway, regarding the shoves, i dont see any real problems with them apart from when it gets above 10+ big blinds where i feel it is better to min-raise some hands.

One thing that i find works really well is to put a few limps in here and there and see if villain tends to view that as weakness and shove your limp. Then trap him by limping all your strong hands. I only really like doing this though with 8+ big blinds otherwise its just shove or fold.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:46 AM

This stuff is crazy talk, even with some of the "wider" shoves there is no range your opponent could call with profitably against you. Only big mistakes are shoving the big pairs. Once it gets down to less than 8bb I shove these, but you are losing a lot of value shoving these when you're not getting called very often. Even if your opponent suspects you might have limped with a big hand they won't get away from it if they hit a flop and a lot of guys are going to just shove over you as it's a great play against most people who limp preflop with high blinds (I shove any two against limpers with <10bb).
But why would you want to play a system anyway. There are a lot of shoves that are very opponent dependent, i.e. if guys only call with an ace/pair or the best kings, you can shove 10bbs with any two cards and show an automatic profit, whereas against a guy who will call with K7o (which is not a bad play if you are shoving very wide) then shoving trash is a huge -ev play. Same thing goes for calling. Definitely get one of the sng softwares and play with the quiz or review your hhs on them, there's really no excuse not to play this segment absolutely perfectly.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Haji, you speak my language.

Obviously, these systems (SAGE), are not going to work perfectly, since it is free information. While I can see it as a base-line thinking, I can't think of why anyone should stay permanently on them. At some point, playing the player has to fit into the short-stacked strat, even though there is not much room to play.