The Song Is Over 0 0%
Getting In Tune 0 0%
Going Mobile 0 0%
Behind Blue Eyes 9 30.00%
Won't Get Fooled Again 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Which one is hardest?

For a reasonably fit person with decent work capacity, etc.---which of these would be hardest to accomplish?

(1) 2xBW bench press
(2) 2.5xBW squat
(3) 3xBW deadlift
(4) Straddle planche pushup ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qu5ikO0UFjE )
(5) 36 in. standing vertical
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Which one is hardest?

Ok, I know the disturbing subtlety of this question makes it scary to answer with merely the anonymity of your 2+2 handle. So lets make it double-blind:
Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM

The answer will likely greatly depend on said persons height and thus the mechanics of said lift
Old 08-03-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer will likely greatly depend on said persons height and thus the mechanics of said lift

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent answer.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 PM

I would guess the 36" vertical would be the most difficult for most people. With years of strength training most people can build up to very high levels, but with vertical jump there are physical limits to most people based on how high their calf muscles are set and how many fast twitch fibers their muscles can recruit. It might not seem so if you read the NFL Combine results, but I believe 36" is close to world class and well beyond the limits of most people. It's like the equivalent of running a sub 10.5 second 100m.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess the 36" vertical would be the most difficult for most people. With years of strength training most people can build up to very high levels, but with vertical jump there are physical limits to most people based on how high their calf muscles are set and how many fast twitch fibers their muscles can recruit. It might not seem so if you read the NFL Combine results, but I believe 36" is close to world class and well beyond the limits of most people. It's like the equivalent of running a sub 10.5 second 100m.

[/ QUOTE ]

While what you say is somewhat true. A 2.5x BW squat is pretty world class and the two are very closely related. I doubt there may be anyone on the planet who can squat 1000 and not hop 30 inches. Even those 350+ behemoths.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While what you say is somewhat true. A 2.5x BW squat is pretty world class and the two are very closely related. I doubt there may be anyone on the planet who can squat 1000 and not hop 30 inches. Even those 350+ behemoths.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about this...i think the heavyweight powerlifters than can squat 1000lbs and weight over 300/400 lbs are not gonna jump anywhere near "world class" 30-35inches...these guys carry way too much bodyfat which will kill your vertical jump even though they are strong in the correct muscles for good hops...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM

30-35 isn't world class. There are probably over 100k of these people on the planet. World class would be 40+ easily and even then there would be thousands in my estimation.

The average male jumps what 17?
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 PM

I voted for 2xBW bench because that would probably be hardest for me.

About those huge powerlifters who can squat 3xBW, yes they're moving a ton of weight in those squats but they're not moving the weight fast/explosively at all so I don't think that kind of strength translates well to their vertical leap. I have no experience about any of this and am basing this on intuition/opinion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Weightlifters actually do work on explosiveness/speed. Many specifically have a "speed day" in their work-out schedule.