Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Default WTF News and Commentary - May

I was born in '70, so I don't really know much about the issue, but why has it taken 37 years for this kind of item to surface?
Was the Kent State event covered by the media? I don't mean the aftermath, but the actual event itself.
Was there so much tape to go through that the FBI could have missed something like this?

I listened to the recording, and it's not a stretch to think that an order to fire was given. The tape isn't great, so it is equally possible that it's something else, but regardless, it's still been a long time.

Any loungers have more/better insight?
Yahoo link
Old 05-02-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: WTF News and Commentary - May

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/1158695.html

I do not think my link is working so I will cut and paste.

A Punch Leads to Murder Charges

An 18-year-old man was charged with murder Wednesday after being accused of punching a pregnant woman in the stomach after her boyfriend offered the teen $200 to carry out the attack.

By Jim Adams, Star Tribune

An 18-year-old man was charged with murder Wednesday after being accused of punching a pregnant woman in the stomach after her boyfriend offered the teen $200 to carry out the attack.

The woman, 19 years old and six months pregnant, collapsed in a St. Louis Park apartment after the assault on April 21 and delivered her baby girl the next day. After spending all of her days on life support, the baby, weighing just under 2 pounds, died Tuesday with bleeding on the brain and other health problems, charges against the two men said.

"It is a cold, brutal really heartless crime," said St. Louis Park Chief John Luse. He said the young mother was grief stricken and still trying to comprehend what happened.

"That's why it's so heartbreaking," Luse said. "You can't not care and do this job. But caring is a risk."

Dameon D. Gatson, 22, the woman's boyfriend, and Paul A. Petersen, 18, both of Hopkins, were each charged with second-degree murder and first-degree assault and in Hennepin County District Court. Both are in custody.

The baby, identified by the medical examiner's office as Destiny J. Gatson, was taken off life support Tuesday evening and died after a few hours, police said Wednesday. The mother, whom police are not identifying, was not hospitalized and is otherwise healthy.

The mother was visiting someone in the apartment building in the 5600 block of Minnetonka Boulevard with her preschool-aged son, police said Wednesday. The attack occurred about 11 a.m. in the hall and with her son in the apartment, police said.

According to the charging complaint:

Gatson told his girlfriend and later police that he was at a funeral in St. Louis at the time a man she didn't know knocked on her apartment door. When she appeared, the man, whom she identified later in a photo lineup as Petersen, punched her several times in the stomach and fled to a nearby gas station. Gatson, was waiting in a borrowed car and they drove off, witnesses told police.

Police checked Gatson's cell phone records and found he made calls in the Twin Cities area before and after the assault to a phone number listed to a Hopkins address where he and Petersen live. Gatson later admitted he lied and took Petersen to the apartment of Gatson's girlfriend and told him to find out if she was cheating on him.

Peterson told police he confronted the woman at her apartment after he got drunk and high on marijuana while driving around with Gatson. He said she "disrespected him" and he shoved her and ran. He also said Gatson said he didn't want another baby and offered him $200 to cause a miscarriage. But Gatson only gave him $40 after the assault, Petersen said.

Gatson and the mother had a relationship for seven to eight months, police said.

Jim Adams • 612-673-7658 • jadams@startribune.com
Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Wow what a horrible tragedy. I can't even imagine what could possibly have led up to such an event. Hard to imagine something like this happening today.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM

This is a story about the poor dude who went to some wilderness survival training last year and died from lack of water.

Man Dies of Thirst

"While regretting the tragedy, the school, known as BOSS, has denied any negligence and instead blamed Buschow, saying the security officer and former Air Force airman did not read course materials, may have withheld health information and may have eaten too heavily before leaving River Vale, N.J., for the grueling course.

Noting Buschow signed liability waivers, the school said: "Mr. Buschow expressly assumed the risk of serious injury or death prior to participating.""

lol. I suppose an apology is probably not going to come.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM

This is really pathetic.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/...n_dollar_pants
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM

in flipping through the channels to get to the aux channel so i can edit, i heard on the View that Imus is suing CBS for firing him. Apparently, his contract stipulated that he was supposed to be controversial and had a "dog has one bite" clause where he's not supposed to be fired without a documented warning first.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is really pathetic.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/...n_dollar_pants

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Manning said the cleaners made three settlement offers to Pearson. First they offered $3,000, then $4,600, then $12,000. But Pearson wasn't satisfied and expanded his calculations beyond one pair of pants.

Because Pearson no longer wanted to use his neighborhood dry cleaner, part of his lawsuit calls for $15,000 — the price to rent a car every weekend for 10 years to go to another business.

[/ QUOTE ]

They offered to settle for 12g and he didn't take it. Talk about wanting a pound of flesh. Aside from the unnecessary burden on the courts, the family that owns the dry cleaners is apparently contemplating moving back to South Korea due to this.

The only good news is that this story is getting some legs. I pray this guy is disbarred but at the very least word of this story may shame him into dropping the lawsuit.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM

Anyone catch that video of David Hasselhoff that was shot by his daughter when he was drunk? I was wondering what you guys thought of this kind of thing. I think it's terrible. Why film your father this way? It does more harm than it helps.

I feel sorry for him. I wish people wouldn't release this type of thing to the public and I wish people would have the decency not to run it. Does anyone disagree with me?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 PM

No, I think it's a shocking thing to do, well beyond the pale. I shudder to think what revolting celeb (and nobody) video clips will be seeing in the future.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:30 PM

While it is shocking and all that jazz, if the daughter felt that he needed help and nothing was working, why not try to publicly shame him?

Also, maybe she didnt mean for it get out but wanted to show her dad the video when he was sober and sort of go "Dad this how you make me feel!"

Desperate times call for desperate measures.