Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Looking more professional, a fashion thread

I'm currently a fourth year grad student in Economics. Next year I'll be going "on the market." The market is basically a huge conference where people give talks on a variety of topics, some meetings take place, and most importantly pretty much all job interviews take place. In the fall schools post openings, the interviews take place at the aforementioned AEA meetings in early January. Candidates have anywhere from a couple of interviews up to 30 or more. If successful, a candidate is flown out to give an hour and a half talk at that school.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about clothes. I pretty much always wear t-shirts, most of which are Oregon related. I have a North Face fleece that I have worn a lot this winter. I usually wear jeans or shorts when it isn't too cold. For shoes, I basically wear New Balance cross trainers.

I went on a bit of a binge last spring. Last Christmas, I took advantage of sales to buy a bunch of colored shirts, just your basic Old Navy/Gap etc. type. I also bought a few pairs of khakis and cargo pants, a pea (sp?) coat, and two pair of Clarks shoes (one brown, one black, otherwise identical) that I actually really like. I wore these pretty regularly for most of the winter and spring, but once summer came around and I wasn't around the department, I went back to wearing shorts and tshirts etc. For whatever reason, I haven't gone back to wearing the nicer clothes, and even some new stuff I bought early this month.

Basically, I would like to overall look more professional. I have the type of personality where I don't take myself too seriously, and the clothing I usually wear is representative of that. The problem is that I suspect it also rubs off and people get the (sadly not incorrect enough) impression that I don't take my work seriously either. Also, I think that when making the change from student to professor it seems appropriate to not look like a total slob all the time (at least until I get tenure). Some tips for day-to-day stuff would be good here. Also, I will need to buy a suit to wear to the interviews and hopefully fly-outs. I've never owned a suit and don't have the slightest clue what to look for. There is also usually a dinner which is somewhat, but not completely formal at these things.

So basically, I am seeking advice on 3 how to dress for three types of situations:
1. Day to day office - something nice and comfortable, should be professional but need not meet any dress code.
2. Formal suit/tie for a job interview, giving talks etc.
3. Something in the middle to wear to dinner and other events with potential employers.

I don't have a huge budget to buy tons of stuff. While I'm not going on one huge shopping spree, my hope is that I can keep reading this thread and make some improvements gradually. Any input appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Looking more professional, a fashion thread

can this be expanded into the general fashion advice thread mrwookie suggested?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM

just be balla all the time like this badass dude. the old school phone is key too.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM

NCJ,

"can this be expanded into the general fashion advice thread mrwookie suggested?"

Just add...

4. Going out and looking nice at casual places.
5. Going out and looking nice at dressier places.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM

in my oppinion the best fitting, looking and always approriate is anything from Ralph Lauren (the real thing with the horse adn the purple label, no polo sport etc.) suits, sweaters, slacks, T-shirts, shoes, ties, you name it its hot and looks good on you.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM

J, If you're going to be in front of Econ Profs as long as you have a suit and tie that fits alright and is conservative and dark you'll be fine. Chances are they won't be paying attention.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in my oppinion the best fitting, looking and always approriate is anything from Ralph Lauren (the real thing with the horse adn the purple label, no polo sport etc.) suits, sweaters, slacks, T-shirts, shoes, ties, you name it its hot and looks good on you.

[/ QUOTE ]\

The thing I don't care for with RL clothing is to me, it lacks personality. I like designers that I feel like there's personality in things, especially button downs. I'm a big fan of Claiborne and Perry Ellis stuff.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Jared,

I'm currently on the economic job market, and I attended the AEA meetings in Chicago a few weeks ago. Of your wardrobe list, you should shop for the formal suit at the end of the summer or early fall, you can get dinner wear in December or January, and I wouldn't even worry about day to day office clothing yet.

For the interviews themselves, you will want a solid black or navy suit. Make sure the jacket fits well, and get trousers of the proper length. You'll also need some dress shirts, probably 3. I got one white, one blue, and one striped shirts. Get some ties to coordinate with your suit and shirt. You'll also need matching shoes and belt. Next year's meetings are in New Orleans, so you can probably get by without an overcoat.

For dinners, it is fine to wear your suit. If you want to wear something less formal, you can wear your suit trousers without the jacket and a light colored dress shirt and tie.

Let me know if you have questions about specific wardrobe items.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I have a couple of Jos A Banks Trios (suit plus an extra pair of slacks) that should meet several of your criteria. They usually go on sale for about $250.

Linky --- I'd suggest black or navy to start.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the interviews themselves, you will want a solid black or navy suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grey is much better than black. Black is for funerals.