Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

View Poll Results: Good Post bad post
Good 4 20.00%
Bad 16 80.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Charges Sought Against Rumsfeld Over Prison Abuse

And to add, EU is far from doing what it should today as well, I i.e. doubt that there is sufficient plans on handling the situation arising if i.e. the Belarussian or Turkish government start killing political opponents.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As compared to the US? The number of incidents in Europe is much higher, the threat level has generally been much higher here, the next terrorist attack is more likely to happen in Europe than in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I suppose it's more a matter of perspective. My impression is that in the EU terrorism is still seen as a law enforcement task, which is definitely not the case in the US. And with Taliban/AQ detainees from Afghanistan, we truly are dealing with a military situation.

I think a lot of the difference in outcome reflects that distinction more than any superior European respect for human rights.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Germany was chosen for the court filing because German law provides "universal jurisdiction"

[/ QUOTE ]

In my house, I have just finished jman220's house's rules of civil procedure. In my house, I have jurisdiction over crimes that have occurred everywhere in the world, including other planets. I am now initiating a lawsuit, to be heard by judge jman220, in the court of jman220, against Neil Armstrong for the vandalism he did to the moon.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any comparisons to true genocide like the holocaust only show how ridiculous these charges are.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Much the same as online poker room operators get yanked off airplanes passing thru the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, did Rumsfeld invade Germany? Do you see why your analogy is flawed?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Much the same as online poker room operators get yanked off airplanes passing thru the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not as far as I know. I pretty much know he invaded Iraq under false pretenses though! I also know that since the Iraq invasion there has been an estimated 600,000 death of Iraqis over and above what would have occurred during a Hussein regime.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not as far as I know. I pretty much know he invaded Iraq under false pretenses though! I also know that since the Iraq invasion there has been an estimated 600,000 death of Iraqis over and above what would have occurred during a Hussein regime.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by 600,000 you mean more like 75,000 - 150,000 then you are corrrect. But go ahead and believe anything you read on the internet. Despite your vast exageration of deaths, I do agree with you the Rumsfield should hang, as there is no excuse for the chaos he has caused in Iraq.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by 600,000 you mean more like 75,000 - 150,000 then you are corrrect. But go ahead and believe anything you read on the internet. Despite your vast exageration of deaths, I do agree with you the Rumsfield should hang, as there is no excuse for the chaos he has caused in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

75,000-100,000 excess is correct. Thanks for pointing this out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is my source. It seems that 100,000 is based on 2004 figures?
Old 11-11-2006, 05:02 AM

Who do you trust most? The Lancet or the US government?

For me. The Lancet, by a long shot. I'll stand by the 600,000! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Wiki presents both sides of the debate
Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Subjecting prisoners who by right could have been summarily executed as combattants out of uniform . . . ."

[/ QUOTE ]
Note first the lack of dispute that many torture victims were not "enemy combatants" or terrorists and were released without being accused of anything. This is a good illustration of how excessive indulgence in rightist propaganda can wreck your brain: the U.S. can "summarily execute" foreigners at will as long as they are "out of uniform."

"We have met the enemy ...."