Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Going on my first cruise. Prepare me OOT!

Somehow everyone who has replied has forgotten to remind you to smuggle in some booze. It would probably have to be in plastic thermos-like containers, from what I've heard they will check your luggage, in any event I heard something about glass bottles not getting on for some reason.

This is hardly a secret, but cruise ships get you on board for a fairly tremendous loss to them, and rely on your drinking and gambling habits to make up the difference. I've heard bar tabs of $1500 to be pretty standard over the course of a week cruise, so sneaking on some booze or wine will save you a lot of money.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow everyone who has replied has forgotten to remind you to smuggle in some booze. It would probably have to be in plastic thermos-like containers, from what I've heard they will check your luggage, in any event I heard something about glass bottles not getting on for some reason.

This is hardly a secret, but cruise ships get you on board for a fairly tremendous loss to them, and rely on your drinking and gambling habits to make up the difference. I've heard bar tabs of $1500 to be pretty standard over the course of a week cruise, so sneaking on some booze or wine will save you a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cruised after 9/11, and didn't have a problem with wrapping a few bottles of wine/booze in bubble wrap and putting it in my checked luggage. Cruise lines may give you a problem if you try to "carry-on" stuff.

Another thing is if you are planning on eating in the "premium" restaurants there, make reservations as soon as you get on the ship. They tend to fill up fast, and on a 5 day cruise, you don't want to get stuck.

Run good in poker, and you can cover your bar tab for the week easy.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are the type that enjoys lying down and aren't into adventure/exploring/finding interesting local places to go, then a cruise is for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this statement. I mean, yes, a lot of people just relax on cruises, but in my 3 cruises, I did the following...

• drove up/hiked a 10,000ft volcanoe
• swam with and fed (potentially deadly) sting rays
• freedived off the coast of Hawaii
• climbed Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica
• parasailed
• almost got in a fight with a pushy Jamaican merchant
• toured underground caves in Cozumel
• Jet-skied in Antigua

So, those things I listed might not be extreme adventures to some people, but they aren't just “lying down” either.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 AM

sam,

Interesting. I am a billion miles from an expert on this topic, not really sure why I mentioned the plastic bottles thing but I definitely heard it from someone.

For the most part the extent of my cruise knowledge revolves around a David Foster Wallace article called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again", a magazine like Harpers or something paid him to go on a cruise and write about his experience. He hated it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you are the type that enjoys lying down and aren't into adventure/exploring/finding interesting local places to go, then a cruise is for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this statement. I mean, yes, a lot of people just relax on cruises, but in my 3 cruises, I did the following...

• parasailed
• Jet-skied in Antigua

So, those things I listed might not be extreme adventures to some people, but they aren't just “lying down” either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I went on a private boating trip in Aruba where it was just me, my wife, and four crew members. In hindsight, they could have dumped our bodies next to Natalie Holloway, and nobody would've known since I booked it outside the cruise line.

Doing your own stuff >>> ship excursions.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sam,

Interesting. I am a billion miles from an expert on this topic, not really sure why I mentioned the plastic bottles thing but I definitely heard it from someone.

For the most part the extent of my cruise knowledge revolves around a David Foster Wallace article called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again", a magazine like Harpers or something paid him to go on a cruise and write about his experience. He hated it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not for everybody. I always thought they were rather gay myself, until I went on one. Had a great time. Then again, I always go when school is in session, so we usually avoid the families/kids factor.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

• parasailed
• Jet-skied in Antigua

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, there is time for day trips and excursions and what not. the point was that if you really want to explore and fly by the seat of your pants, having to be back at dock X at time Y can restrict your schedule. or if you have a certain type of hotel you really want to stay at, or some 2 day trip, or etc etc

to each his own. it's not my idea of a great vaca, but plenty of people love them. you should do what you enjoy...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 AM

DM - Yup, got the balcony. I figured that for my first cruise I wanted to enjoy some of those cool amenities.

tuq - Wife's pregnant and I am a beer drinker. Good thought, but we won't be smuggling alcohol on board

sam - Thanks for the breakfast idea. Will definitely use that one. Pancakes and fruit on the balcony sounds pretty cool.

Now what's this with 'Premium' restaurants???? I thought cruise food was all paid for and eat whatever, whenever??? Are these extra cost? How much am I looking at???

Anything to worry about with the locals? We've been to Jamaica, Cancun, Bahamas, etc. and just despise getting hounded by locals when we walk around. Is Bermuda any different?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 AM

1. Get tan. (Burning sucks)
2. Do sit-ups.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Now what's this with 'Premium' restaurants???? I thought cruise food was all paid for and eat whatever, whenever??? Are these extra cost? How much am I looking at???

[/ QUOTE ]

it was $5 extra per person on my ship, and well worth it.