Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 01:11 AM

Default Computer is Buzzing and Windows isn\'t Starting. Related?

So a couple days ago, my computer started making a buzzing sound. I figured it had something to do with the fans, so I opened the case, cleaned up all the dust, and this didn't help. As far as I can tell, there are only three fans in the case. Two vent out the back, and one on the inside which connects to one in the back through a white plastic duct. I can stop each fan while the computer is running, and the buzzing sound continues. So I guess it's not a fan after all.

At the same time, Windows stopped shutting down properly. The system would freeze on the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen, and I'd have to hold the power button down to turn it off. This would cause Windows to not start up properly when turned back on, and freeze on the Windows screen. Yesterday and this morning, I could fix this by starting in Safe Mode, shutting down the computer (which would work in Safe Mode), and then turning back on and being able to operate normally. Tonight, this stopped working, and now I can only work in Safe Mode, which I'm in right now.

Any ideas on what I should do? I'm guessing I might have to take it in to a shop to fix the buzzing? Anything I can do to fix the Windows problem short of reformatting?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Computer is Buzzing and Windows isn\'t Starting. Related?

Exactly where is the buzzing sound coming from? Is it coming from your hard drive? It's important to localize the sound within your computer tower.

Sounds to me like your hard drive is about to kick the bucket. I'd get any important info off of it ASAP, even if you must do it in safe mode.