Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: wii selling for $400+ again on ebay

failure rate is time-sensitive

automobiles have a low failure rate in year one, but a much higher one in year 10

anecdotally, everyone i know who has a ps2 purchased at least 2 of them, with many purchasing 3-4 of them, because theirs broke

but it usually breaks after 2-3 years, not 1 year...so it's not counted in any counts and doesn't count for the 'failure rate' which would normally be over a 1 year period

to put it another way: i don't believe that there are 100 million currently working ps2s out there...i believe that of the 120-125million currently sold, 20-25% failed at some point (some are 6 years old and failed, some fail in the first year, some fail after 2 years)

there was even a lawsuit about the high failure rate
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM

I would believe maybe 5-10% but no way do i buy 35% of PS2's have failed over time. I know there were some bugs in the first few versions, but they corrected it much quicker then MS has corrected their problems.

What is the typical failure rate after 2-3 years on consoles say from 16 Bit on? Are you saying that failure rate is the norm, or excessive?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 AM

bugs usually get corrected for problems that occur in first year of ownership

when ur ps2 breaks after 2 years, u just go to store and buy a new one; u don't report it to sony or anything, so nobody knows

someone could do a survey of people who own/owned a ps2 and how many they bought total...that would be the only way to really get a good handle on the actual %

also, one of their major issues was the 2004 new model ps2; that's what the lawsuit was over...so wasn't just the first few years
Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 AM

I'm certainly on my 3rd PS2. I'm probably an anomaly, but I wasn't even an early adopter
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm certainly on my 3rd PS2. I'm probably an anomaly, but I wasn't even an early adopter

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd here, but I had a launch PS2, and this one has been going strong for 5 years.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM

I think with the price so low, you probably end up with multiple PS2 owners not just because of hardware failures, but also just the form factor of the newer versions. I know some people who later bought the slim version for that reason.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would believe maybe 5-10% but no way do i buy 35% of PS2's have failed over time. I know there were some bugs in the first few versions, but they corrected it much quicker then MS has corrected their problems.

What is the typical failure rate after 2-3 years on consoles say from 16 Bit on? Are you saying that failure rate is the norm, or excessive?

[/ QUOTE ]

16 bit on is not the right comparison. It is optical media and hard disk drives on. Sensitive moving parts = bricking consoles. I know a decent chunk of people with PS2s along with myself, every single one ended up replacing it at least once. Same story with PS1. Heck, even back to the days of Sega CD - anecdotally at least, those things fried faster and more often than probably any console to date.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Apparently, the PS3 actually outsold the Wii in Japan this month. This could be relatively big news for the PS3 and equally bad for the Wii if this turns out to be true.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 PM

My PS2 is pretty told, I'd say at least 4 - 5 years. While it hasn't "broken" yet, I've had some problems playing some games at times. I even recently had to go as far as opening it up and fixing the cd because my guitar hero I and II games were not being read by the drive. The fix worked out great and they are useable now.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 PM

PS3 price cuts, etc. I doubt there are any wiis sitting on the shelves in Japan, y'know? And it's not like Nintendo's in too much trouble, since the DS probably outsold both of those combined.