Going Mobile 0 0%
Behind Blue Eyes 9 30.00%
Won't Get Fooled Again 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Which one is hardest?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'4" and the only one of these that seems possible at all for me is a 3xBW deadlift. I can do 2xBW without too much work on it. I've been squatting 3x per week for the last year and a half to get to 325lb ATG. No way will I ever get to 600lb+. Some short stubby guys make it seem easy to squat 2.5xBW or bench 2xBW.

True 36" standing vert is very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are entire NCAA D1 secondaries where no starter or regular has under a 36 inch vert. I'm sure anyone at the Olympic trials for high jump can match this in addition to a decent number of volleyball and basketball players or any other vertical leap sports.

The raw 3x dead is probably more rare than a dude with a 36 inch vert.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, most of those vert numbers are BS. Its like 40 yard dash times, EVERYONE is running the 40 in 4.3 or whatever, but in reality almost none of them are. A true vert jump is flat flooted straight up in the air, and 36" is out of reach for the average person, regardless of the amount of training. Now maybe the same is true for a 3x deadlift, but I think given the way people age, The window to achieve a strength feat is much bigger than the window to achieve one based on explosive power.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I played volleyball fairly competitively in high school in Canada, and 36 inch verticles were very common, and many of the players I played with didn`t do any jump training or even much athletic activity outside of volleyball.

I`d assume that of people who get very competitive in volleyball/basketball, quite a huge % can jump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you played with athletes who would be elite even in the NFL. Dwayne Wade has a 36" vertical with a one-step runup. His standing vert is a few inches less. the avg NBA 1st round pick has around 28" of hops.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM

I've always used a 1 step vert.

I've noticed there are differences in people, some get better jumps off one foot when running, some when two. It just depends. I guess I'm leaning toward the teachable aspect of it.

There's just so little benefit to training entirely for vertical leap at the expense of other sports.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'4" and the only one of these that seems possible at all for me is a 3xBW deadlift. I can do 2xBW without too much work on it. I've been squatting 3x per week for the last year and a half to get to 325lb ATG. No way will I ever get to 600lb+. Some short stubby guys make it seem easy to squat 2.5xBW or bench 2xBW.

True 36" standing vert is very rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are entire NCAA D1 secondaries where no starter or regular has under a 36 inch vert. I'm sure anyone at the Olympic trials for high jump can match this in addition to a decent number of volleyball and basketball players or any other vertical leap sports.

The raw 3x dead is probably more rare than a dude with a 36 inch vert.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, most of those vert numbers are BS. Its like 40 yard dash times, EVERYONE is running the 40 in 4.3 or whatever, but in reality almost none of them are. A true vert jump is flat flooted straight up in the air, and 36" is out of reach for the average person, regardless of the amount of training. Now maybe the same is true for a 3x deadlift, but I think given the way people age, The window to achieve a strength feat is much bigger than the window to achieve one based on explosive power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if this weren't true. I remember reading somewhere that men's strength peaks in their 40's. But we all know that, for instance, boxers are usually long since flat-footed by that time. The legs loose their spring fairly young.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Blarg,

I'll go with that. I think its late 30s personally for strength peak. Like no 25 year old can compete with someone in their late 30s other factors equal. But tennis etc... This is weird. Too much thinking.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM

I only made this thread to confirm that people would grossly underestimate the difficulty of the squat and deadlift. Interesting.