Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really like Brandi Carlile's voice, she's kinda country but with a raspy rock edge.

Here's a Youtube link to her song The Story. I think it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this! Thanks for turning me on to someone new.

edited to add another song - this girl is terrific:

Fall Apart Again

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this as well!!!
Great Stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since everyone else is doing it, might as well put my mangina right out there...

I've seen brandi carlile 3 times in concert and if she's ever touring where you live, check her out. Her live show is really really good.

If you like some Johnny Cash, she covers Folsom Prison Blues

Or maybe Ray LaMontagne if you're feeling world-weary.

Others which I'm sure ppl already know:
Feist: if you've seen the Ipod commercial, that's her

Ingrid Michaelson: Old Navy commercial, but I actually clued into her b/c she's on the bill of a show in Portland w/ Brandi Carlile. I like The Way I Am, but hate video b/c I hate clowns.

A Fine Frenzy: Allison Sudol. She has a sort of dreamscape, ethereal'ish sound that's grown on me a lot. Coldplay'ish, Bjork'ish, Sigur Ros'ish...Plus she's really, really easy on the eyes...

Erin Bode: Fans of Eva Cassidy, Norah Jones, Madeleine Peyroux would like her, I think. Speaking of which...

Madeleine Peyroux: when I 1st heard her, I thought it was Billie Holiday, but the sound quality was too clear for it to be.

Hope I turned someone onto something good.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 AM

So I happen to have some free time and I haven't seen her mentioned in this thread yet, so here goes with one of my recent favorites, who I had the great fortune to watch perform last month at the Mercury Lounge here in NYC:

Nina Nastasia(link to her myspace page)

Nina Nastasia is the girl you want to spend an afternoon with on the grass in the park and hope that she loves you enough to want to sing to you for hours and never stop.

As I mentioned before, I was lucky enough to see her last month, and it was just awesome. She kept us standing there fixed on her voice, enthralled for over an hour. None of us there ever wanted it to end; when she finally finished, it was as if a spell had broken and we were all jarred back to reality wishing that that feeling would never end.

She's released five albums:

Dogs 2000
The Blackened Air 2002
Run to Ruin 2003
On Leaving 2006
You Follow Me 2007

They're all fantastic, though my favorites are probably Dogs and On Leaving

It seems that most of the songs of hers on youtube are live performances with [censored] audio, but I'll post a couple anyway:

Search results for Nina Nastasia on YouTube

Also, a couple of other youtube links I found that weren't from live shows. The first link is a video of some random person sketching the cover art to one of her albums to one of her songs, which also happens to be one of my favorite songs. The second link is a random song, I'm not sure exactly what the situation was where they recorded that.

Dogs(the vid is just some dude sketching her, so you can minimize it and just listen to the audio).
Odd Said the Doe - I think I like Jim White's drumming as much as the actual song in this vid.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 AM

- Dibs on Regina Spektor; I've started a monster post on her, so nobody ruin it with some dinky one before then, ldo.

- Ingrid Michaelson is just achingly cute. It's a good thing she can write and sing, because I'd be paying attention to her either way, and at least now I get some good music out of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 AM

Little fish big fish swimming in the water, come back here man gimme my daughter
Old 11-16-2007, 03:39 AM

I'm in the process of listening to any songs of artists I don't know and must say I'm very happy so far.

I have to add one song Bjork though.

It was 1995 and I was 17. Me and my best friend are in our regular bar (drinking age is 16 for beer in Belgium) celebrating New Years. Now this was a somewhat weird bar in that even though it was what you would call a "brown bar" the clientele was mostly adult gamers. So a weird mix of 50+ yr old card and dice gamblers and then a ton of 25-35yr old computer and Magic the Gathering players. Needless to say me and my friend at 16 and 17 were there since we belonged to the 2nd group.

Music was usually a combination of trip hop like Massive Attack, Portishead and Moloko, and bands like PJ Harvey, The Pixies, Echo and the Bunnymen and The Smiths.

Yet at exactly midnight of New Year's Eve the song they chose to blast at 11 was...

Bjork - It's Oh So Quiet

Needless to say this was both one of the most surreal and memorable moments of my life. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:14 AM

KT Tunstall

KT Tunstall Wikipedia

While recently booming in popularity in North America, KT's Eye to the Telescope has been on my playlist for a few years now. One thing that always stood out to me was her use of a Loop Pedal during live performances so I'll add a few clips of those.

I especially love her Jackson 5 cover of I want You Back, even though she has a false start with her pedal.

KT Tunstall - I Want You Back (Jackson 5 cover)

Her most famous song has to be Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.

KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

A more quiet song, non-live performance:

KT Tunstall - Under the Weather
Old 11-16-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ingrid Michaelson is just achingly cute. It's a good thing she can write and sing, because I'd be paying attention to her either way, and at least now I get some good music out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda like Lisa Loeb's cute little sister, dontcha think? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 AM

can't wait for the Regina post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Who wants Dido and Jewel?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who wants Dido and Jewel?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly what you meant by that, but it did give me an idea. There are some artists I am interested in, but don't know much about, and I thought this thread would be a cool place where we could put in requests like that. For example, I think Laurie Anderson sounds really interesting, but I'd to like to hear from a fan of hers where I should start listening, what I should skip, what I should look for, etc.