Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Great AP Article About GOP Screwing the Pooch with the Bill

Here is a great article from the Associated Press entitled, "GOP May've Overplayed Gambling Bill Hand." For some reason, I can't post a direct link to it, but it's the 6th article down in the list on this page:

http://www.newsday.com/search/dispat...target=article

"I've been a loyal Republican for over 30 years, and I'm quitting the party I once loved," said Jim Henry, 55, who lives outside San Francisco. "Not because of the Mark Foley scandal or Middle East policy. But because the Republican Party wants to stop me from what I love to do: play poker over the Internet."

"I've talked with Republicans all over the country, and they all understand that this is a theft of our liberty," said lifelong Republican Alan Sheldon, 61, of Loveland, Ohio, whose grandmother taught him how to play poker at the age of 4. Sheldon, who describes himself as a conservative Christian, said he would not vote Republican next week because of the new gambling law."

I'm also a former lifelong Republican who won't be voting Republican in this election. Go to the polls on Tuesday and throw these fascist bastards out of office. Enough is enough!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Great AP Article About GOP Screwing the Pooch with the Bill

Fixed your link
Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fixed your link

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Good article

Certainly it will be difficult to gauge the impact poker players as a voting block (if it exists) will have. Still, it doesnt help Republicans searching for votes in toss-up elections.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good article

Certainly it will be difficult to gauge the impact poker players as a voting block (if it exists) will have. Still, it doesnt help Republicans searching for votes in toss-up elections.

[/ QUOTE ]

This AP story has found it's way into many major newspapers across the country as well as some smaller metro ones.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Given that 115 (about 60%) House Democrats voted for the new legislation, it is hard for me to follow the logic of the lynch mob saying "Republicans are facist bastards and Democrats are the pro-gambling, freedom fighting, we got rights, protest marching crowd". In fact, without the Dems yea votes, it does not pass.

Anti-gambling laws go way back; Democrats helped put them in place. Dems now helped greatly to pass the new law.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:32 PM

lol. So if the Dems were in control this bill would still be passed? Yeah -- I thought so.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that 115 (about 60%) House Democrats voted for the new legislation, it is hard for me to follow the logic of the lynch mob saying "Republicans are facist bastards and Democrats are the pro-gambling, freedom fighting, we got rights, protest marching crowd". In fact, without the Dems yea votes, it does not pass.

Anti-gambling laws go way back; Democrats helped put them in place. Dems now helped greatly to pass the new law.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the subject is HR4411, you're right. When the subject is a conference bill that was railroaded through committee, the GOP bears the lion's share of the blame.

I don't believe for a second that the Democrats are truly "allies" in our pro-legalization quest. However, they're apparently less opposed to us than the religious conservatives. The enemy of my enemy, yada yada, vote your conscience.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:59 PM

I was actually polled, and was asked: What is the #1 issue influencing your voting decisions? I hesitated, laughed, and confessed that it the anti-gambling legislation.

I later told some of my non-gambling friends about this, and one of them said, "Really? Internet gambling? That's your #1 issue?"

"Yeah... They're f-cking with my cash flow. I'm like a lot of people, I'm voting my pocketbook."

I hope there are lots and lots of people like me.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol. So if the Dems were in control this bill would still be passed? Yeah -- I thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Assuming you aren't, I'll address this in my best Sklansky talk.

60% of House Dems. voted for HR4411; and if the Dems. controlled the House there is 0% chance it would have passed. Do you see why?