Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Brand new to NL. - Is this standard?

I've just started playing, maybe 3-4 hands, so no reads on anyone. Do I need to bet more on the turn?

Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Button: $9.70
SB: $6.40
BB: $9.60
UTG: $14.95
UTG+1: $2.00
MP1: $9.40
MP2: $10.95
CO: $8.20

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises to $0.30</font>, CO calls $0.30, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets $0.45</font>, CO calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.65) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets $0.70</font>, CO calls $0.70.

River: ($3.05) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">CO bets $3.50</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Final Pot: $10.05

-d
Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Brand new to NL. - Is this standard?

River check/call is terrible here, I don't see how you aren't crushed when he bets that big. I'd consider checking turn and seeing how much he bets, its a bad board for you and pot control should be the overwhelming factor here.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 PM

grunch

I'm not sure about the river, but with the draw heavy board, I usually would bet more on turn, maybe 90-1.00.

If the board is less draw heavy, and even sometimes when it's like this, I'll check the turn for pot control and call the $1-$2 river bet.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 AM

I think I prefer either blocking river or c/f-ing is okay. c/c-ing is okay sometimes but there aren't a tremendous amount of hands that he can bluff with (ie. QT).
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 AM

Nobody else reads the river overbet as weak?

-d
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 AM

Full pot it on the turn. Let him know you have a hand that is not to be trifled with. $.70 lets him draw to all sorts of hands. I'm betting $1.50 as the last money I'm putting in to this pot unless I improve. Are you going to get owned by a worse hand from time to time? Sure, but that's not the end of the world. It's not the easiest spot in the world, and is a good lesson about the value of position.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Looks like three of the replies all differ in points of view. I have to agree with Death Donkey here. Your hand is really not that good especially when your getting called from behind with a 3x BB raise. Looks like the SPR is around 10 or 11 which is not really good on a TPTK type hand. You definitely need to keep the pot small after the turn card, so I would check it through and see how much he bets on the river.

The big bet on the river could be viewed as weak, but I think most of the time here you are behind. Plus had he made his straight or set, this big bet to imply weakness gets you to call.

Another words, the risk vs reward is not worth it given the amount of your stack size, and the amount you are willing to put in the pot. Keep the pot small.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM

The consensus (such as it is) appears to be that you should either bet bigger on the turn or not at all. And I can see that, as that turn card really kind of sucks for you.

A problem I see with a big turn bet as the last money in is that KQ is not going anywhere, and I'm not sure we can trust an unknown not to bet that hand if checked to on the river, either. Meanwhile, I doubt any better hand is giving us credit for AQ, so we're unlikely to have any folding equity either.

It's actually kind of hard for me to imagine a legitimate hand Villain could have on the flop that he'll now fold to a pot-sized turn bet (I guess AJ/AT, maybe, and both of those hands are drawing terribly against you). I guess, if we're contemplating a turn bet, the question becomes whether or not the bet is for value? Or maybe a big turn bet discourages Villain from doing anything tricky when checked to on the river?

Overall, I mainly just think this is a tough spot. I would probably check the turn and try to get to showdown, but I'm not really sure if that's the best plan or not.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:01 AM

Bet more pf, flop, and turn. On the river b/f &gt; c/c