Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Flopped pure nuts, correct to lead out?

Read on button villain: Often aggressive before the flop which seemed to work since the the rest of the players except one were very selective preflop. This included re-raising with non-premium hands quite often to take advantage of the button. Villain likes to be in pots. Villain has been caught showing down steals, but did not appear to change gears at all.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $8.80
Hero (BB): $6.30
UTG: $1.95
UTG+1: $10.00
MP1: $6.30
MP2: $2.10
MP3: $10.65
CO: $9.15
BTN: $9.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.20</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.80</font>, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($1.95) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $1.30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BTN folds
Uncalled bet of $1.70 returned to Hero

1) Looking back at this hand, I think I would have liked to have raised from the BB before the flop, to take the hand right there. Since I would be out of position, I would have liked to have ideally taken the pot with the raise or at least go to the flop with the momentum of a raise.

2) My plan with my call on the flop was to appear on the draw, and to induce a bet if 4th street didn't make 4 to a flush. Any input on this play?

3) Would it have made sense to call 4th street and jack it up on 5th?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Flopped pure nuts, correct to lead out?

1) checking pre-flop is standard. JTs plays well multiway and isn't hard to play OOP (you will be folding it unless you flop 2 pair or a monster draw).

2) Uh, you really think the guy with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is going to stack off when the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits the turn? Re-raise the flop to something like $1.75 and get the rest in on the turn. Your goal on the flop should be to set it up so that all the money gets in by the river without an overbet.

3) Yes. Because a shove on the river looks fishier than a turn check raise.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Well said, for an old guy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Uh, you really think the guy with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is going to stack off when the 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits the turn? Re-raise the flop to something like $1.75 and get the rest in on the turn. Your goal on the flop should be to set it up so that all the money gets in by the river without an overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's silly to put him on a flush on the premise of a flop raise. It's much more likely he has something like ATo or KQo here, and repopping the flop isn't that great in that respect. I think my default here would be to call the raise on the flop and donk most turn cards, trying to represent a decent and vulnerable, but not great, hand. If he has a flush, all the money is going in on 80% of the turn cards regardless of what we do. if he has a 1 or 2 pair-type hand, we'll get more by calling on the flop.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM

I think not 3betting the flop as your default is pretty bad poker gonores

if he has a 1 or 2 pair hand or set/ straight or flush, 7 turn cards can come and kill our action or on the river and ud prefer to start buidling the pot now so ur turn bet and river bet can get his stack by the end

also ur point about it being silly to put him on a good hand while true seems to be the way everyone says not to look at NL, ur tryin to get value (with reasonable sized bets he could call, but tryin to get them all by the end) from his hands that could put money in not eek it out vs his weaker hands that might fold to further aggression. Even if you argue that thought, here on this board too many hands give no more action when a spade drops and u gotta give him a chance to call a 3bet and a bigger turn bet on a blank or to 4 bet the flop himself to protect his vulnerable hands that dont want to see another spade 2 pair JT flushes ect

op ck preflop is good but Im pretty indifferent between ck and raise, lead flop for sure either way