Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Donk bets on the flop

I have big problems playing against opponents, who consistantly donks into me on the flop. I almost never donk
my self so maybe it's because I don't really know why they are doing it that puts me of.
Of course I know my reaction should be read/texture dependant, some allways donks as a bluff/semibluff.
Some donks only with a pair, some only with top pair or better. These are all quite easy to play
against obviously.

Problems arive when I'm against a good/decent thinking TAG who utilises a frequent donk strategy with a
wide range of hands. Sometimes with the intention of donk/3-betting and very capable of doing this with a
draw aswell.

So far I've tried to play with a tricky counter strategy: Raising overs sometimes on drawy and dry flops.
I usually don't miss an opportunity to semibluff. And to balance my strategy a bit I sometimes wait till the turn
to raise an overpair.

Well I just feel like this strategy isn't working too well and he is getting more value from me than what I get from him.
Is there a better counter strategy than this?

Here is a couple of examples:

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB (TAG) calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">TAG bets</font>, Hero?

Would you raise this flop sometimes to fold out a PP
smaller than 9 or charge a draw.

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">CO: TAG raises, Hero raises</font>, TAG calls.

Flop: 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">CO :TAG bets</font>, Hero?

How often should I be raising this and how often calling down. Feels like if I always call here with overcards, I might aswell flip over my hand. Free showdowning the turn UI is not a good play against this type?
Feels like they usually just call the raise and donk the river w/ a pair.

I've come to the conclusion that I really hate compulsive donkers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Any thoughts on the subject are welcome. And I beg your pardon for any grammar issues as english is not my primary language.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Donk bets on the flop

my counter strategy is to call them down and take notes.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM

i don't see how this is conceptually different from getting c/r'ed. you assign him a certain range (pairs+draws) and if your equity is sufficient for a call-down you do that. you raise (usually on the turn) when you get a strong hand and to balance that you occasionally semi-bluff raise and occasionally wait till the river to raise. once (and if) you get to showdown you look at his cards and adjust the range you assign to him accordingly.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM

thats usually my top priority when taking notes
What the **** are they donking with?

I don't like raising the flop with overs though, since most donks are weal pairs or draws, which won't fold anyway.
As a matter of fact, when villain raises me on the flop instead of waiting for the turn i become suspicious.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM

In both of your examples I never raise unimproved at any point in the hand.

Hand 1: I would call here and possibly calldown if no straight of flush cards come in. I would b/f turn if he checks to me.

Hand 2: I would call here and call any turn card. I may or may not call a river bet, but I'm usually folding to a river bet and hoping for a free showdown.

I'm not incredibly confident on my answers here, but I wouldn't fault anyone for calling both of there down or folding the turn on both.