Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push?
Yeah. Push. Meta-game baby! 14 24.56%
Nobody calls a push, raise a lot. 43 75.44%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Stupidity and violence

All other variables being the same, a society of less intelligent people is likely to have more problems with violence than a society with more intelligent people.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Stupidity and violence

I think it's almost tautological. If I'm dumb enough, violence is the only way i'll be able to think of to resolve conflict. Just adding in the possibility of starting a rumor campaign against you means i'm less likely to punch you in the face.

btw...is that thing about you and the duck true?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 PM

I had to disagree, only because I'm a male. If I had agreed to your question, I would also have to concede that women don't solve their conflicts with violence, hence they are more intelligent than men. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had to disagree, only because I'm a male. If I had agreed to your question, I would also have to concede that women don't solve their conflicts with violence, hence they are more intelligent than men. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is indicative of the reasoning behind people voting "disagree," the results of this poll will show approximately how many people desperately need to take a logic course.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Had to disagree. This is like saying the greatest man in the world is greater than all others. In something like this the proof is in the details.

As an example, the ruleing classes in Europe were certainly the best educated(even exclusively educated) and created the catastrophic WW1. WW2 was created through the most intelligent(?) Japanese and Germans and the English/American antagonists(not looking for blame here-history speaks for itself).

The destructive impulses of war machines including the atomic bomb was certainly initiated by higher intellects.

On and on, and I suppose this could go into the twists and turns of what is intelligence and can intelligence be conceived as that which moves(aids?) the human condition.

By definition you could say that the European leaders were stupid who started that great war and in that case the statement cannot be wrong .

On and on and on.

As an addition I'd say that he who acts more like an animal where the moral point is not evident(real lions and tigers) would be considered the stupid one. Of course this gets into the many debates on this site as to the nature of morality but Id have to say this particular point is specifically human and excludes the animal.In what many people view as intelligence I'd say that intelligence permeated by love would be the"most intelligent".
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Hmmm...questionable whether declaring a war or ordering troops is really a violent act. I mean, the result is going to be violence I suppose, but is that really what the OP meant? The soldiers are the violent ones, and obviously the less educated.

However, I think the OP meant more on an interpersonal basis. Interesting question.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is indicative of the reasoning behind people voting "disagree," the results of this poll will show approximately how many people desperately need to take a logic course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just making a half-hearted joke because I don't think the answer has any bearing on reality. The IQ range for someone in the Special Forces, Special Operations-Capable and Special Mission Units, falls between 110-130. And they're probably the most violent group of people on the planet, so...

If the 130 IQ cut-off won't work, then go to the 130+ range. The Manhattan Project produced the most violent act of our species.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The destructive impulses of war machines including the atomic bomb was certainly initiated by higher intellects.

[/ QUOTE ]

So were peacemaking efforts.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...questionable whether declaring a war or ordering troops is really a violent act. I mean, the result is going to be violence I suppose, but is that really what the OP meant? The soldiers are the violent ones, and obviously the less educated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the kid working on a farm prior to ww1 called the president and said"I'm violent, send me to war" and the president obliged [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Control of the passions/emotions/lower nature has,according to many religious has been a goal of Mankind. In here, intelligence can hide but can't run.This is as personal as it gets.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was just making a half-hearted joke because I don't think the answer has any bearing on reality. The IQ range for someone in the Special Forces, Special Operations-Capable and Special Mission Units, falls between 110-130. And they're probably the most violent group of people on the planet, so...

If the 130 IQ cut-off won't work, then go to the 130+ range. The Manhattan Project produced the most violent act of our species.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men are taller than women you say? Pah, look at Sally, she's teller than all of us! What do you have to say to that?