Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Obscure disasters (formerly \"Ever hear of Texas City Disaster...?)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda obsessed with the Centralia Mine Fire for no valid reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a valid reason - it's totally cool and kind of creepy, and basically unheard of.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda obsessed with the Centralia Mine Fire for no valid reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a valid reason - it's totally cool and kind of creepy, and basically unheard of.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unheard of here, but I was reading an article about Chinese mine fires. It seems crazy that something so strange here is almost commonplace there.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dust clogged the atmosphere worlwide to the point that 1816 was called The Year Without a Summer and the Norther Hemisphere suffered the biggest famine of the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are studies that suggest this was the cause of a wave of migration from New England to (what is now) the Midwest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to this? I've heard of the famine, but I thought that it was related to the Tambora volcano eruption.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Approximately 436 people were killed by these tornadoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 12 hour long Tornado storm? Holy [censored]!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:30 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Approximately 436 people were killed by these tornadoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 12 hour long Tornado storm? Holy [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been much bigger/badder tornado outbreaks, especially in the midwestern US:

Daultipur-Salturia Tornado
Super Outbreak
Tri-State Tornado

Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM

The Salton Sea & Salton City...

[ QUOTE ]
Salton City is a census-designated place (CDP) in Imperial County, California, United States. The population was 978 at the 2000 census. It is part of the 'El Centro, California Metropolitan Statistical Area'. Although maps (such as those seen at Google Maps[1]) at first glance show Salton City to be a sizable community, in fact very few of the surveyed streets and roads were ever developed. The town was developed in the 1950s as a resort community on the Salton Sea, but as the salinity of the already highly polluted sea rose, very little development took place and much of what was built - including the city's marina - was abandoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Basically, you drive to this place and there is this beautiful (because it's completely placid) sea in the middle of the desert. What you don't realize is that it is completely polluted and disgusting. Once people realized that the water was being diverted down from the Colorado River, they built resorts and stuff everywhere, or at least planned for it. If you go visit the area now, it's straight out of a horror film - dolls with eyes missing, the tops of houses sticking out of the sand/dirt, bicycles half buried. When you walk through the sand, it cracks underneath your feet and in the cracks the substance underneath is this sickly red color.

It's a crazy place.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM

I'm sure Chernobyl is a little too big to be considered obscure, but I find it fascinating to read about, and I think that donating to the charities that support its victims is one of the more worthy causes in existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

[ QUOTE ]
The Chernobyl nuclear disaster was the worst accident in the history of nuclear power...Several authors claim that the official reports underestimate the scale of the Chernobyl tragedy, counting only 30 victims; some estimate the Chernobyl radioactive fallout as hundreds of times that of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, counting millions of exposed.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: If you don't feel moved by the gravity of situation and compelled to donate, please google image search Chernobyl victim. Make sure you're sitting down and have a strong stomach.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dust clogged the atmosphere worlwide to the point that 1816 was called The Year Without a Summer and the Norther Hemisphere suffered the biggest famine of the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are studies that suggest this was the cause of a wave of migration from New England to (what is now) the Midwest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to this? I've heard of the famine, but I thought that it was related to the Tambora volcano eruption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, yes. BigPoppa's post was about the eruption, which caused the 'Year Without a Summer', which spurred migrations west and south.

link

link

link
Old 09-09-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Salton Sea & Salton City...

[ QUOTE ]
Salton City is a census-designated place (CDP) in Imperial County, California, United States. The population was 978 at the 2000 census. It is part of the 'El Centro, California Metropolitan Statistical Area'. Although maps (such as those seen at Google Maps[1]) at first glance show Salton City to be a sizable community, in fact very few of the surveyed streets and roads were ever developed. The town was developed in the 1950s as a resort community on the Salton Sea, but as the salinity of the already highly polluted sea rose, very little development took place and much of what was built - including the city's marina - was abandoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Basically, you drive to this place and there is this beautiful (because it's completely placid) sea in the middle of the desert. What you don't realize is that it is completely polluted and disgusting. Once people realized that the water was being diverted down from the Colorado River, they built resorts and stuff everywhere, or at least planned for it. If you go visit the area now, it's straight out of a horror film - dolls with eyes missing, the tops of houses sticking out of the sand/dirt, bicycles half buried. When you walk through the sand, it cracks underneath your feet and in the cracks the substance underneath is this sickly red color.

It's a crazy place.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice find...
Old 09-09-2007, 06:36 PM

The Vajont Dam

[ QUOTE ]
On October 9, 1963 at approximately 10:35pm, the combination of the third drawing-down of the reservoir and heavy rains triggered an enormous landslide of about 260 million cubic metres of forest, earth, and rock, which fell into the reservoir at up to 110 km per hour (68 mph). The resulting displacement of water caused 50 million cubic metres of water to overtop the dam in a 250-metre high wave. Despite this, the dam's structure was largely undamaged — the top metre or so of masonry was washed away, but the basic structure remained intact. However, the flooding caused by the landslide destroyed the villages of Longarone, Pirago, Rivalta, Villanova and Fač, killing 1,450 people. Many small villages in the territory of Erto e Casso and the village of Codissago, near Castellavazzo, were largely wrecked. Almost 2,000 people (some sources report 1,909) perished in total. Damage was also caused by the air displacement caused from the immense "splash" in surrounding villages.

[/ QUOTE ]