Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Default IS THIS A BAD CALL?

$550 live tourney, 650 players
blinds are 300/600, 75 ante
short stacked with $3950 chips (120 left, 5 hrs into it)
under the gun calls, 4th position calls, i am in cutoff with 7,7 and i push all in. big blind with approx $5,000 chips calls quickly, under the gun folds as does second limper. Under the gun has KsJs and wins.

Is my all in or his call a terrible play?

I can't recall exactly how many chips BB had. i remember around 5,000. but does it matter? i think his call was awful even with a stack of $8,000-$10,000.

Thnaks for your input.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: IS THIS A BAD CALL?

I agree he was gambling with you and come out on top. coin flips are the worse when you have the best hand. He knew he had a bad hand for his position hence the call UTG. Do you remember what the flop was? Could you have played the flop w/ a shove if you had just called?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Play was fine given you were so short.

His call is pretty bad @ a full table, he could have put you on a desperation steal from that position though.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:46 PM

flop was J high so he would have called. if i just called preflop or raised to 2000 then pushed with my last 2000. i think his call si so bad b/c there are 2 others to act after him and he cant really think his KJ is that strong. i was beign patient with my remaining stack so he could have put me on a bigger hand than 7,7.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 AM

I disagree, if he put's you on an underpair he's getting 2:1 on his money and the 2 limpers have shown they aren't strong. Its not the best call but it's not that bad either
Old 10-22-2007, 12:44 AM

Both your push and his call were fine, although I think he should have pushed his last few chips in instead of calling.

There is a lot of dead money from the blinds, antes, and limps. You should be attacking that dead money with worse, and the BB should be calling with slightly worse to get a piece of that dead money. As it was, you both should have been happy to get involved when you flipped over your cards.

You can't win every tournament. You just have to keep making good decisions like this, which will let you win many more tournaments and much more money than waiting for a lock.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Assuming that there's 8 people at the table, there's 1500 in the pot at the start of the betting, which gives you an M of about 2.6 So you should be pushing your pocket 7's, esp. considering the two limpers in front of you.

So now there's about 6800 in the pot when it get's to the BB, and he has to put in 3300 to call, with 2 people left to act. Unless he had a read on you and the two limpers, and knew that the two limpers would fold, and had two overcards to your small PP, he made a bad call (IMHO).

If it was heads up, I can see him calling you, but with two people left to act, he should have figured that the two limpers probably had a weakish Ace, and that they may call due to the size of the pot.

Myself, I would have waited for a better spot, I would have figured that at best, I'm racing, and at worst, I'm dominated.