Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

A lot of people who drink often drive legally "drunk" 7 days a week and never get in an accident or get caught. I think your observation that he seems to drive well is important. However, while he may not be driving unsafely 99% sets him up to get mortally smashed and still sit behind the wheel, and that 1% of the time is so much more dangerous than the rest combined.

I used to drive drunk pretty regularly, and never did anything stupid like running a light, forgetting to smog (signal, mirror, over the shoulder, GO!) when turning, speeding, taking my eyes off the road, weaving, etc. Also, I only ever drove when nobody was on the road anyway.

Well, that was all fine and good, until I drank like 2x my vodka limit, and hit a tree. Weeeeeeeeee!
I haven't driven drunk for 2 years since then and I plan not to ever do it again. WELL, maybe once, but not stoooopid drunk.

I agree with whoever said that the anti-drunk driving crowd is too extreme in their moral condemnation of DDing. Sure, it's dangerous, but pretending it's evil is just self-righteous, useless, and ignorant. I mean, do you even know what the world is like AT ALL?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 AM

yeah I did that too, smashed my car into a telephone pole head-on at like 35, 40. tried to run away on foot, got caught (cuz i was so drunk i ran around in a circle and ended up back at the scene of the accident... oops)

ended up getting away without a ticket / etc, due in part to the fact that i am in fact the jedi son of christ

never drove drunk since
Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Recent immigrants, mostly Hispanic. Many of them don't even have a valid license and they're not used to U.S traffic laws. Plus they like to drink lots of Tequila"

classic

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite true. All you have to do is tie yourself onto your burro and slap his ass, and you'll wind up at home even if you fall asleep blind drunk halfway there. Many Mexicans don't realize a car can't drive itself if you pass out driving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BPOTM [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 AM

Haven't read the thread, but I really doubt there is much that you can do. Other than using force these people aren't typically going to listen. I have a friend just like this that also drives very well when he is drunk, but will not listen to the people that tell him not to. He is just the type that always wants to drive back home to sleep at then end of a night. Myself and a few other firends have almost gotten into several fistfights with him trying to stop him and his girlfriend has tried as well. A DUI will probably clear the problem up, but I would not be willing to end a friendship by calling the cops and telling them he's driving drunk. If that happens by chance then I think it could be problem solved, but I really don't think you want that as a friend.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And to all those people who say why are you friends with him and that he should call the cops, man what a bunch of square-bears.. I'm not saying drinking and driving is right, but it's not like the guy's out burglarizing homes or raping kids.. good grief!!

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO. His friend is doing the equivalent of firing a gun randomly into the air. The bullet probably won't hit a person when it comes down but shoot enough times and a bullet will kill someone. His friend is gambling with random strangers' lives, not just his.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO. His friend is doing the equivalent of firing a gun randomly into the air. The bullet probably won't hit a person when it comes down but shoot enough times and a bullet will kill someone. His friend is gambling with random strangers' lives, not just his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonononono. His friend is drinking a lot of alcohol and driving with minimal impairment according to the OP. If he isn't driving poorly/very impaired there isn't a problem. Anyone on a cell phone while driving is more of a danger than OPs friend.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Google a bunch of people that have been killed by drunk drivers, print out plenty of pictures and give them to him. If he still wants to drive slash the bastards tyres.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His friend is drinking a lot of alcohol and driving with minimal impairment according to the OP. If he isn't driving poorly/very impaired there isn't a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is a [censored] problem, stop posting.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 AM

Wacki,

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where you probably can't do anything until it's too late. Just hope he hits a tree and not a person.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM

What the [censored] this isn't that big of a deal. Tell him you are taking his keys and if he doesn't give them to you beat his ass and resolve it in the morning. It sounds like some people who have responded to this thread don't have friends at all.