Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Stop Loss Limits: Pro\'s and Con\'s...

Regardless of whether you are a NL or LHE player, I think the idea of a stop loss limit has both pro's and con's, and there are some well respected players and posters that have opinions both ways. Some say it does help their win rates, and others say that they have made comebacks from some very ugly places.

Regardless of the theories, I'm wondering if the players who actually *DO* use some type of stop loss limit could tell us what they thought the effects were on their overall performance?

What are your parameters?

How does it affect your overall win rate?, and

What other benefits does it seem to give you?

Finally, for those that have tried it in the past and have dropped it, what was your reason for doing so?

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Stop Loss Limits: Pro\'s and Con\'s...

I think having a iron clad plan on way or another is a mistake.

Reading the situation, so to speak, has shown the best results for me.

IE

If your stuck just 30 BB's, clearly bothered by it from suckouts and hit n runs(hi george), and generally just kinda meh than its best to get up.

However if your stuck 100 bb's, havent really hit the wall yet, are playing well, and have some great games, than by all means stay.

Clearly this all hinges on your ability to both honestly assess your mood and act on it, something that takes some time to learn. Once you figure it out though I think a balance is the way to go.

(I used to think a stop loss was the nuts....now Ive amended my view to the above)

I may come up with a few more thoughts later but thats all Ive got for now.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM

I agree with Biker... Having said that there are some days I wish I had a stop loss. lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM

i think of stop losses as a check on my ability to determine whether i'm playing well and how good my opponents are. and looking back, there are games/opps that i thought were juicy at the time that actually weren't and times i thought i was playing "fine" when my play had clearly degraded.

i feel like it also reaffirms some discipline to actually stop. i use a 60BB stop-loss. capping wins is of course idiotic. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]