Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 AM

Default quite possibly a stupid question... but here goes anyway...

for those of you who play off a dedicated poker bankroll, do you pay your non-poker expenses out of that or use your "regular" money? I'm talking travel expenses, meals, etc.

I realize there are no "rules" for this and I can just do whatever the hell I feel like doing, I'm just trying to get a consensus of what most ppl's tendencies are.

Thanks for not flaming me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 AM

Default Re: quite possibly a stupid question... but here goes anyway...

I always bring cash for poker and put EVERYTHING else on my CC. I like to keep things separated and I don't feel non-balla about using any gambling winnings to pay for the vacation when I pay the CC bill.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 AM

Likewise for me. I use the money I pay myself from my bankroll to pay for expenses endured and related to poker. The actual BR though is strictly for poker.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 AM

The bankroll should be money dedicated soley for the poker table, which also means you can stand losing it and still have money for food and rent(or hotel room)
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 AM

I guess I'm slightly different from the other posters. I have a dedicated poker bankroll that I also use for lodging and dining expenses when I travel to Vegas (1-2 times/year) or AC (2 times/month).

I have an agreement with the wife to not use our personal money for poker. This works out well for both of us as we can enjoy frequent weekend trips to AC entirely out of my poker bank roll and as the roll builds up, I use it for other luxuries.

A couple of notes:

I am serious about poker and track my wins and losses, but I do not view my wins as a source of income; rather a past time that allows me periodic luxuries .

I am content to play 1/2 nl for now and therefore do not have an impending need to build my bankroll in order to mover up in stakes ~ I rather enjoy paying for dinner and other amenities while away without adversely effecting other bank accounts.

Lastly, I do feel that if you are serious about playing poker for a living - whether now or some time in the future - then you should look at you bankroll as money to be used solely at the tables. Your intent should be to build you roll in order to move up in stakes to increase your profit margin.

* Everything above is strictly my opinion ~ I suspect others will disagree
Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bankroll should be money dedicated soley for the poker table, which also means you can stand losing it and still have money for food and rent(or hotel room)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you meant this, but you should never be playing stakes where you risk losing losing your entire roll in one session. This indicates that you're playing to high or do not have a big enough bank roll.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 AM

I also deduct any poker related expenses from my bankroll as I would not have those expenses if I wasnt playing poker so I dont budget for them out of my normal job income. I also have a healthy bankroll that can withstand those expenses if I was to run bad on a trip.