Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Do you need 100 buy ins for sit n go\'s?

Is it 100 buy ins u need to play sit n go's?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Do you need 100 buy ins for sit n go\'s?

The STT FAQ has the answer:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...page=0#bankroll
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 AM

IIRC 30 is the number that's thrown around alot (maybe not on this forum but certainly on others)

Obviously higher stakes require more buyins due to smaller edges and thus higher variance.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Search back for an accurate calculation on one of pzhon's posts. If it is too mathmatical for you then I think 40 buy ins gives a nice comfort zone. Of course, if you are a losing player then it will all go at some stage anyway.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 AM

It all depends on # of tables played at once, your ITM, your ROI, varience, and your acceptable risk of ruin.

In other words, one buyin may be enough if you can reload and just want to gamble it up. 100 may not be enough if you aren't as good or can't afford to go broke.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM

I stick close to the 100 buy in rule but as my ITM % has improved over time I have started playing some over that limit. Call me a nit but I find I play my best poker when I play a limit where I can go with a read and make moves that could possibly eliminate me without losing a significant portion of my roll. Some of the moves and calls I make in the 6.50 and 12's arent so easy for me to make in the 20+ buy in range which definitely hasd a negative impact on winnings because I am not playing my game.

Bottom line is play where your ability and comfort zone allow you to play. If it is easy for you to re-deposit and you do not mind doing so then you can get away with far less and keep in mind your bankroll is not always just the money you have on any given site it is the sum total of the moniez you have set aside for poker. YOu could have $100 on a site and be sufficiently rolled for $20 tourneys as long as you have enough behind to re-up when the inevitable dry run comes.

It is all where you are comfortable and I think the hard and fast 100 buy in rule is more geared toward the beginner, novice break even player who will have larger than normal swings because of their erratic play. As long as the stakes do not affect your game play where you are comfortable and profitable whether it be above, within, or below your roll.