Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Middle set very deep 1/2 NL

[ QUOTE ]
Why should I raise the flop? He did not bet his draws. If he has JJ+ I'm making it easy for him to get away by 4-betting the flop. I think the only debatable part of my hand is the river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You HAVE to reraise the flop, especially this deep, and its only a 3bet, not a 4bet.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You HAVE to reraise the flop, especially this deep, and its only a 3bet, not a 4bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too much value raising the flop in my opinion, raising it means bluffs, and top pair can get away from the hand. Playing it the way he did means a missed flush draw could easily do the same thing, and have done to me. A majority people push missed draws just because of how weak the hand has been played for the hand he has and how much money the openant has put out in a missed draw hoping that the weak play means you can't call a all in.

Personaly I call it everytime unless i've played the other person along time and know how he plays his draws, strong hands and bluffs. 8 9 is the only hand that a majority of players will have you beat with, 10's re raise pre flop and so do jacks, so that leaves a few hands that may over play that flop. Bottom set will because of the board looking dangerous to draws, a straight already out there and a dimond draw, A8 suited will because of the many outs. Also two pair for the same reasens as bottom set, also top pair top kicker may also play the hand like this. These four hands are much more likely to play strong big bets than a made straight.

Also raising the flop means putting your self in an akward position. You raise he re-raises what do you do? Put him on two pair a set a straight or a flush? It's alot easier to get information on later streets and also can make you control the size of the pot if a danger card like the 8 of dimonds hits.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:29 AM

raise everywhere please
Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 AM

haffy: i like that analysis.. I really don't understand why anyone would raise any time before the river.

grandezza: why??
Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 AM

To charge draws and to get called by worse hands. And instacall/shove if he shoves/reraises.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haffy: i like that analysis.. I really don't understand why anyone would raise any time before the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

For value
Old 08-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Personally I don't buy that. It's not hard to play a set OOP. I care more about protecting my hand and getting huge value than trying to trick top pair into sticking around (who will probably call a flop 3bet anyways).

Speaking of hard to play, what are you going to do when an 8, 9, or diamond hits the turn and Villain pots it?

Do NOT try to fancy play a set on a flush draw / straight draw flop 350bb deep!!