Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Good fold on the flop?

All 3 villains are typical 2/4 players - 30/7/1.5, something like that. Should I be continuing with this hand?

I checked hoping to check-raise a late bettor in order to force out gutshots, kings, and jacks. Once the player to my left bet and 2 others were in the hand, I felt like even though I was getting 9:1 on my money and could close the action, I was drawing nearly dead quite often and would pay off better hands while worse hands would rarely pay me off. Even if I happened to be ahead, anybody in the hand had loads of redraws against me.

Good fold?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, 1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB folds, Hero folds.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Good fold on the flop?

You should bet the flop. The more people that limp, the weaker the hands of the later limpers. The most likely flop bet comes from the UTG positions. Betting might get them to raise and fold out 1-2 others.

The way you played it, folding is good as any K, Q, J, or T probably burn you as the gutshots have odds, especially with no flush potential.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 PM

You are probably ahead at this point. No one raised before the flop, I go ahead and checkraise for value to see where everyone stands and bet out on the turn if I'm not raised.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Bet the flop when there's no show of strength preflop and reevaluate if you get popped. Keep leading if no one pushes back. Fish are fish after all...
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 PM

You can't know whether or not you have the best hand unless you bet it. There are a lot of hands that will fold on this flop. By not betting, you let someone else bet and then you think you are outkicked by A9 and/or someone has 2 pair/straight and your hand won't be able to go the distance. The way you played it, I wouldn't have any clue what to do on the flop. I could raise it, call it, fold it who cares cause I already screwed up the hand by not betting.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Also, at this point, you have plenty of outs to split with another ace (even though some of those outs are obv dirty with completed broadway straight draw)

I think you must bet here b/c you hand is so vulnerable.

folding here for one bet with an ace is far too weak. Keep betting until someone tells you to stop by raising you.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 PM

In general, you don't want to go for a flop CR unless you are reasonably sure where the bet will come from. There are cases where your hand is so vurnerable that you have to risk it anyways (think 67 on 236 board), but this isn't one of them.