Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: BASTARD
Yes 18 36.00%
yes, infinity times 32 64.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Early House Report Card

Engineer...

just thought I would mention thet rep Anthony Weiner from NY.. who is on your A list...

Is actively compaigning and has his heart set on NYC Mayor.. election 2009. He most likely will have a very good shot at winning

Rep Weiner is a Sen Schumer protege... with big political aspirations...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 PM

I sent my congress reps emails with this information so hopefully it will help.

I've never done anything political before or even voted. I just registered to vote this week.

I want to just say how much the efforts of many of the regulars here, particularly the engineer mean to me, I was moved enough to take action just from lurking on this forum.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was Gene Taylor from MS...actually I think it was one of his staffers since he was on a TV show when I got the email.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. Rep. Taylor is cosponsoring the study bill, so it figures he'd be sympathetic to IGREA. As he'll vote for it but not cosponsor it, I guess his "B" is about right (I'll bump him up if he gets a little more vocal in his support).

[ QUOTE ]
I got an email back from Roger Wickers office this morning, you can go ahead and mark him down as a gigantic prick who is opposed to gambling, and I don't see him changing his stance unless he reads it in the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have him as an "F". He cosponsored HR 4477 and HR 4111. Looks like I have that rating right, too. It's nice to have confirmation.

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on mailing him a photocopy of a $1,500 campaign contribution check I am sending his opponent, who I know absolutely nothing about other than he is not Roger Wicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sent my congress reps emails with this information so hopefully it will help.

I've never done anything political before or even voted. I just registered to vote this week.

I want to just say how much the efforts of many of the regulars here, particularly the engineer mean to me, I was moved enough to take action just from lurking on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment and welcome to the fight!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM

My EOG article on Congressional ratings is at www.eog.com/news/industry.aspx?id=28374 .
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM

Letter posted on EOG.com. I'll move Rep. Giffords to a "B".

-----------------------

June 27, 2007

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me about internet gambling

On October 13. 2006, President Bush signed into law the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (FI.R. 4411), a bill that made it a federal crime to operate a gambling business online domestically or offshore. If I were in Congress last session, I would have voted against this bill.

The popularity of internet gaming is increasing every day. We need a comprehensive federal study that looks at the question of whether or not it can be effectively regulated and what role technology can play in accomplishing that goal. For this reason, I support the Internet Gambling Study Act (H.R. 2140), a bill introduced by Congresswoman Shelley Berkley. H.R. 2140 would provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling. I believe Congress should study the effects of regulating the industry before banning all forms of online gambling.

With billions of dollars going from the U.S, to foreign Internet gaming operations, Congress should present U.S.-based gaming entities with an opportunity to provide safe and regulated Internet gaming options. The issue of Internet gaming should be thoroughly examined to assess how states and gaming entities might use technology and state regulations in order to ensure the safety and integrity of Internet gaming based in the U.S.

On April 26, 2007, Representative Barney Frank introduced the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 (H.R. 2046), legislation that would reinstate internet gambling as a legal activity in the Untied States. This bill has been referred to the House Committees on Financial Services and Energy and Commerce. At the current time, no hearings on this bill have been scheduled. Rest assured that if it comes to the floor for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

I always appreciate hearing from constituents, like you, who are informed and interested about issues of importance to Arizona and the nation. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future and sign-up for c-newsletter updates at Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

Sincerely,
Gabrielle Giffords
Member of Congress
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM

I just got word from Melissa Bean's (D-IL) legistlative director, after getting a letter from Melissa that was supportive of the IGREA, but non-committal to voting for it. The word from the director is that while the Barney Frank bill (IGREA) is not likely to come up for a vote soon, she would vote for the bill in its present form (but doesn't know what the final version would look like). I didn't follow up to find out if she also supports the weaker bills, but I would think that she would as well. I think you should be able to move her up from a ?-.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll move her to a "B".
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM

My article on this subject was picked up by OSGA, at http://www.osga.com/artman/publish/article_5630.shtml . Sounds like we're getting our messsage out there.

I think the guide can help us in writing to Congress as well. I think next week's action item could be to write a letter to Congress like RedBean's. That way, we can collect data while advocating our position. And, by including the guide, these folks will see for themselves the level of our commitment to freedom and liberty.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 AM

is there any youtube or video of Carson during that hearing without having to watch the whole thing?

That would be good classic stuff.