Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Default awesome floor ruling at the borgata

2/5 NL game at the Borgata on saturday night

The two players in the hand are a 60+ year old white man dressed like a thug, and a young douche guy with sunglasses.

It is on the river and the board is 10 high, and the old guy bets 90. The young guy grabs a stack of 100 in reds and begins cutting it out over the betting line. As he is cutting it out the dealer says to the old guy "he called show your hand." Old guy flips J 10.

Young guy flips out at this point and says he said raise. He is adamant that he meant to raise and is arguing loudly. For the record, no one heard him say raise, and it seems he is angleshooting. Anyway floor comes over and they tell him what happened.

Young guy is like "I said raise! I said raise! blah blah blah blah blah!"

and the floor says "Ok what's the problem? make your raise." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Young guy says "well now I see his hand, I'm not gonna raise" and mucks his cards.

Then the floor says "well sir, you owe the pot $180" [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

He throws the chips in and storms off.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Re: awesome floor ruling at the borgata

the ol' insta-miniraise and auto-muck strategy.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a 60+ year old white man dressed like a thug

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see a picture.
----
Good call by the floor. Borgata floor crew seems to get it right, even on highly questionable calls. Unlike other poker rooms, maybe they actually spend money so that their employees are adequately trained for the job.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

----
Good call by the floor. Borgata floor crew seems to get it right, even on highly questionable calls. Unlike other poker rooms, maybe they actually spend money so that their employees are adequately trained for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I haven't agreed with every call that I've seen them make, most of the floor people at the Borg are not afraid to admit it when they don't know the proper ruling for a situation. I've seen a number of situations where the floor didn't know how to rule, and therefore called in a higher manager or consulted the rule book. At most other joints it would be "I am the floor and my decision is final."
Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

----

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the guy looked absolutely rediculous. He was old and had a grizzled face, but he had bleached blond thinning hair, flashy gold jewlery, white hightop sneakers, white shorts at his shins, and a white rocawear shirt hahahahahaha
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

----

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the guy looked absolutely rediculous. He was old and had a grizzled face, but he had bleached blond thinning hair, flashy gold jewlery, white hightop sneakers, white shorts at his shins, and a white rocawear shirt hahahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure i know who this guy is, i ahve played a few tournaments with him. Next time i see him i will try to covertly snap a picture. Its so funny. He's like 60 but wears baggy clothes, FUBU, rocawear and those types of jump suits etc with flashy watches, big rings and a huge chain and almost always wears a ridiculous hat of some sort and if its the same guy i have seen he wears glasses too. lastly he talks in thug vernacular as well. However despite the way he looks and talks he is genuinely a very nice guy, just not sure why he dresses and acts this way. I also believe he backs several players in tournaments and possibly cash games as well. A few of his runners final tabled some of the preliminary USPC events in 2006.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 NL game at the Borgata on saturday night

The two players in the hand are a 60+ year old white man dressed like a thug, and a young douche guy with sunglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have basically described about 45% of the Borgata poker room [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM

I'll be at the Borgata late Thursday night/Friday morning. I'll have to keep an eye out for him.

Do you think that is actually how he dresses or just a costume to throw off his table/play image. You know how some "professionals" dress like tourists to protray the image that they dont know how to play.

I'll be the guy wearing the baseball cap, plain t-shirt, and kakii shorts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Young guy flips out at this point and says he said raise. He is adamant that he meant to raise and is arguing loudly. For the record, no one heard him say raise, and it seems he is angleshooting.
Young guy says "well now I see his hand, I'm not gonna raise" and mucks his cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the kid saw the old guys' cards, then said "I was going to raise", then didn't want to raise given the old guy's hand...what would the angle shoot be? If he didn't want to raise given the strength of his opponent's hand, why would he be clamoring for the floor to let him raise?

Also, if nobody heard the kid raise and it appeared he was trying to angleshoot, why was the floor going to allow him to do so?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the ol' insta-miniraise and auto-muck strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or classic chip dump heads-up in a medium stakes cash game... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]