Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Wireless woes

Anybody got any ideas about what's going on here?

I bought a new MacBook, running Tiger, a few months ago, but I didn't start having problems connecting to my wireless internet until about a week ago. I live in an apartment complex that provides free wireless, through a company called Airband. I don't have access to the wireless router. I can connect just fine to the Web most of the time, and most web sites load without a problem. But certain web sites have a real hard time loading -- Facebook, for instance, is one that often takes a long time or doesn't load at all. (I use Firefox, btw; I've tried it with Safari and the same thing happens.) FWIW, I have a Dell for my job, and when I bring the Dell home from work, it connects to the wireless just fine, including the problematic sites like Facebook.

The real problem is poker. Obviously I can't play on my work laptop. For months I've been playing Full Tilt on my Mac without a problem, but lately I just have not been able to maintain a connection at all. It's very laggy, and the client disconnects me constantly -- sometimes during virtually every hand.

I e-mailed Full Tilt support; they had me run a traceroute, and after looking at the results, they said I was losing the connection somewhere on my end, before I ever reached the Full Tilt servers. I've been complaining constantly to Airband, the company that provides the wireless in my apartment, but supposedly their tech guys have been looking at it and they say everything looks fine on their end.

Right now the free wireless is my only option for internet access, and I'm in major poker withdrawal. Sorry about the length of this post, but does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Wireless woes

How strong is your connection? Maybe there is something wrong w/ your wireless car or antenna.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 AM

It says I'm getting a strong connection -- the full four bars most of the time.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 PM

are you using any virus software? My security suite started doing something similar to me where i couldn't load Wikipedia and a few other sites.

I also have a bad router that would drop when I was trying to stream high bandwidth stuff.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Hm. No, not using any virus stuff (I have a Mac, so this is not necessary??).

But I kinda suspect this may be a bandwidth issue. Although I'm a noob at computers, so how would I know really.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 AM

its not you

its the available capacity your complex/area has with the supplier. the demands of your complex/local area has increased and is putting a strain on the speed of supply
Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its not you

its the available capacity your complex/area has with the supplier. the demands of your complex/local area has increased and is putting a strain on the speed of supply

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble with "free" services is that they're often worth what you pay for them. Your landlord will have to pay more for more capacity, which won't make him any money unless he starts charging for access (or increases rent). If he does start charging, all the tenants that have been getting it for "free" (actually, included in the rent: TANSTAAFL), will be pissed off.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Test your MAC and your work laptop at the same time. If the work laptop connects while the MAC is still lagging, then the issue is most likely within the MAC( hardware or software) and not a network capacity issue.
Try calling Apple support. Telling them that a Windows based DELL is out performing the MAC will get them motivated.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM

It could be MTU or RWIN settings. Those can cause problems on some networks.