Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Re: uNL 1 year report card

Unfortunately not as much time to post these days, but still try to lurk, so take answers with a grain of salt.

a. Traffic- Do you feel as if you hand gets lost too fast, or does it receive appropiate responses.
Traffic is higher than ideal, but much better than having no traffic at all. I've noticed that often good responses in threads get ignored, even if there are a lot of responses to an OP.

b. Quality of the advice
The signal to noise ratio is pretty low (a lot of non-helpful content to good stuff), but I think that the really bad advice does get called out. It's a forum where you wouldn't expect the posters to have all the answers, so I think that in the end there is some super quality advice compared to the stakes the forum serves.

c. Quality of the moderation- What policies would you like to see changed or implemented?
I think the mods do a great job. Not only is this a high traffic forum, but being at the bottom of the stakes, it's where noobs are going to find their way....poker as well as forum noobs. It's generally thankless, and they're also doing this voluntarily. Awesome.

If anything, I would like to see the prohibition of one-line responses more firmly enforced, especially for posters who don't also give more thought-out responses elsewhere. Guys who generally explain their thought processes become pretty obvious, and if those guys also give some one-liners occasionally, that's cool.

Finally, this is a pretty respectful forum for the most part. I don't know how much of that is a direct result of the mods' work, but it has to be at least in some part due to that. Not saying there are no harsh/direct comments, but they don't seem to come out of left field or be really inflammatory and baseless. And for the most part, where there could be some harsh comments, usually people hold off on them.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there'd be alot of benefits in having a few concentrated threads...digests, threads of the week, Article of the week, wells, etc. Those things really need to be kickstarted by mods though, even if they're not the ones making the actual threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a post suggesting this about a week ago.

The next day it got buried.

Hopefully you guys save it and are saving your tasty bookmarks.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM

a. Traffic ok, some hands can get lost fast (maybe standard hands)
b. very good, excelent if any ssnl regular post
c. moderation ok, but a little bit hard some times imho
d. improve the stickes maybe
Old 10-24-2007, 02:04 PM

wrt to a digest:

It is a long standing uNL policy just PM me, tell me the time frame, post it, and you earn a custom title.

wrt to rep:

The new software has this feature. We are still working out the kinks as to how to implement it.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM

ed and ama,

While I do not post here often, I do lurk. It seems that uNL has blossomed into an excellent community for the smallest stakes NL player to learn the game. I wish such a forum would have existed when I started playing NL.

Congratulations to both of you (and of course AJ).

We should get with AJ and redo the overall uNL and SSNL stickies once the new softawre hits (that way we can be sure that all the links work).

Finally, I hope that many uNL posters will be able to join us in Vegas next year (late June early July timeframe based upon latest 2008 WSOP tenative schedule).

Well Done Gentlemen!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i understand that, i figure alot of it is "oh sweet, another easy post to add to my number of posts tally". Annoys the hell out of me

[/ QUOTE ]

If this seems to be an issue- why keep track of post? When I first registered- I regarded someone with more post as a more learned player- now I just regard them as someone who writes too many one liners.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wrt to a digest:
It is a long standing uNL policy just PM me, tell me the time frame, post it, and you earn a custom title.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? that's all it takes?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 AM

I lurk way more than I post.

As a noob, I love this forum.

It's a place I can come to read about hands - there's way too much traffic, but that's OK, i don't try to keep up with it all - and if some of the advice is poor (which is inevitable) there's nearly always discussion of differing viewpoints. It encourages me to THINK about poker.

I was still a limit player when the split took place so I can't comment on how it changed things.