Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 PM

Default 10NL - Defending blinds with low PP... Too aggro?

Reads: I'm new at the table. Villain is data-mined as "ultra-aggressor" on my PT when this hand plays out... something like 36/15/3 with steals attempted 33.33% of the time (all this over 200+ hands). I think his range is very wide here, including his calling range since he is IP vs. an unknown.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $21.15
UTG+1: $3.10
CO: $3.95
Button: $19.60
Hero: $11
BB: $10.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.2</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> I 3-bet since it'll take the pot down a good amount of the time and force villain to reconsider steal range. If I'm called I have pretty good implied odds if I spike my set in a RR pot. </font>

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue">I bet flop because I'm very likely to have the best hand, and if I check/face a bet I won't know where I'm at. Plus I have momentum and there's decent FE here. If he raises me, I'll give consideration to a push and to a fold. A serious raise probably lets me fold correctly. If he just calls I plan to push any rag (non-diamond low card) as I feel high-cards make a big part of his range. </font>

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $7.8</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $7.8 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $6.5

Too aggressive? Too stupid? Standard? Comments/Praise/Flame would be wonderful.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: 10NL - Defending blinds with low PP... Too aggro?

I like this play alot i think you played it fine. villain probably often has Ax or any to picture cards. The only cards that i would fear in this hand are suited connectors which are often played from the button as a steal atempt.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM

I think you played this well, but there might be something to be said for slowing down on the turn since you're building a big pot without a big hand. I do agree that you're likely ahead of villains range and pre-flop and flop look standard given reads.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 PM

there is no reason to lead flop and dont lead that river.
villain calls flop bet with a flush draw or a nine in his hand.
the only hand villain calls the turn bet is a made flush.
good play.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this well, but there might be something to be said for slowing down on the turn since you're building a big pot without a big hand. I do agree that you're likely ahead of villains range and pre-flop and flop look standard given reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand is probably best but very vulnerable. If he has a flush (I don't think he does) I go broke, but I CAN'T give a free card here. Am I wrong?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I vary preflop here between your line and set mining, depending on whether I think villains would pay off...by just calling, you're giving BB good odds, and your implied odds are pretty high. But against such an aggressive button stealer, my "default" is to 3-bet as you did.

I think the flop bet is fine since overcards are obviously a huge part of his range. But since he's ultra aggressive, you need to be prepared for a raise on the flop.

I'm a little nervous when the ultra aggressive guy just calls the flop bet, but really we don't know how he plays, so it's not that huge of a deal. However, you're so likely to be behind when he calls the turn, that I would just check. I'd call a bet from him since he'll bet with a wide range, but I don't think a free card here is terrible, either, if he decides to check.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM

I agree- no free cards. He probably has overs with one of them being a diamond so was willing to call small flop bet. If he flopped the flush, your dead anyways and he might reraise flop bet unless nut flush. On turn you have OESD which gives you more outs so I like your line.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My hand is probably best but very vulnerable. If he has a flush (I don't think he does) I go broke, but I CAN'T give a free card here. Am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you give a free card? First of all, since you've noted that he's ultra aggressive, you are probably not giving the best card, and anyway, his betting range is probably wider than his calling range. If you knew for sure you were ahead and that your opponent was unlikely to bet, then yes, giving up a free card is not so good, but it's not clear that both of those things are true here. Change the opponent read to passive, and I'd like a bet much more.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree- no free cards. He probably has overs with one of them being a diamond so was willing to call small flop bet. If he flopped the flush, your dead anyways and he might reraise flop bet unless nut flush. On turn you have OESD which gives you more outs so I like your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you expect an ultra aggressive player to raise the flop with overcards that include a large diamond?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM

I would seriously play this differently: I would not 3bet on NL10 with small pairs, I will only flat call to flop a set and then get paid off. You have a low PP on the flop OOP and your lead will often take it down, but I would genreally slow down on turn (even if i get floated then) because I really dont want to play for stacks with this, there is better opportunities, especially against a very aggro player like this