Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Default 10NL - question about proper use of continuation bets

Of the many things I do wrong at micro levels, playing with cards that don't hit on the flop when I open with a raise is probably tops on the list. Here are two particular hands:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($10.25)
SB ($15.70)
Hero ($4.20)
UTG ($3.15)
UTG+1 ($5.40)
MP1 ($7.25)
MP2 ($6.95)
MP3 ($9.25)
CO ($10.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.7</font>, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.35) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, MP2 calls $1.

Turn: ($3.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

River: ($4.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $6.35

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($1.30)
MP1 ($6.90)
Hero ($5.05)
MP3 ($15.75)
CO ($1.80)
Button ($6.55)
SB ($8.10)
BB ($7.20)
UTG ($1.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, MP3 calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.95) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, MP3 calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.95) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $1.3</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.25

I try to constantly continuation bet to show dominance in my raise but it doesn't seem to matter. Most of the time it is because they have the best hand. I guess my question is when is a good time to just check missed flops and when a continuation bet is not useful?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 10NL - question about proper use of continuation bets

cbet HU almost without fail. Your real problem is calling the turn.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 PM

If i raise pre flop and i miss usually bet again regardless of what comes on the flop and if im faced with any resistance i give it up or i'll check raise the flop because its usually a sign of strength but in micro games i dont think it matters to much because you'll get called anyway. But bet once if called and there is a draw out there i'll bet again if im raised i'll give it up i'll usually give it up on the turn or after it just depends what i am puttin my opponent on. Just gotta make sure you dont go broke trying to get a guy off a pot its ok to give a couple of pots up now and again
Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM

I think they are both fine [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 PM

Both look standard. I usually cbet more than half pot as far as hand two goes though.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Looks fine to me. Your just not hitting your cards, and they are. Absolutely nothing you can do about it. Luck will turn your way.

If you find that specific opponents are habitually calling cbets(without real hands), stop. They are calling stations, wait till you hit your hand, then value bet, value bet, value bet.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Bet more in 2nd hand. I wouldn't like a 2nd barrel in both hands since they are both pretty drawy and people will probably chase despite odds etc. I think 2nd hand is a better spot to 2nd barrel than hand 1, imo, in case that villain keeps calling all your cbets and bets you off your hand on the turn all the time. He only hits the flop 1/3 of the time, too, on average. And he will lay down a small PP to a 2nd barrel on a board like this, usually.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet more in 2nd hand. I wouldn't like a 2nd barrel in both hands since they are both pretty drawy and people will probably chase despite odds etc. I think 2nd hand is a better spot to 2nd barrel than hand 1, imo, in case that villain keeps calling all your cbets and bets you off your hand on the turn all the time. He only hits the flop 1/3 of the time, too, on average. And he will lay down a small PP to a 2nd barrel on a board like this, usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you haven't played at micros for ages, since you don't know that only people who fold to 2nd barrels are some wannabes who c/min-raise your c-bet and c/f the turn.
Most of the time 2 and 3 barreling at NL10 atleast is massive -EV since people will look you up with their TPMK or even second pairs, and not because they know you have been constantly c-betting but because they think 2nd pair is strong.
Oh and to the OP : make bigger c-bets and don't call the turn if you don't have the outs for it
Old 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Well, I'm VERY sure that cbetting every flop and c/f'ing every turn against the same villain is even more -EV... The kinds of villains you are talking about usually call down when they have hit something, they don't necessarily bet the turn every time but check behind. I actually said that you should only 2nd barrel a villain that has been floating you constantly.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Bet more in hand 2. You donīt know if these kind of flops connected with the opponent or not, they could both be looking at missed unders or whatnot. They are both standard. Villains managed to hit and you didnīt.