Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Default hidden aces

7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (7.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises

5th Street - (6.00 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (8.00 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (10.00 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (12.00 BB)

Did I misplay this hand totally? That was my first session of 7cs so bare with me. I checkraised 4 street because I put villain on flush draw and I knew he will bet and I wanted to get HU with him and charge him. Should I check on some of the other streets because I am giving him the odds with betting anyway?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: hidden aces

The check raise worked very well as you cleared a crowded spot. I like what you did. I probably would not have played it that way, but i like your way better. The rest of the hand is good. You need to be betting, even if it's correct for him to call. You don;t want to give free cards to draws whether they be a flush draw or a lower pair trying to make 2 pair. When you have the lead, always take it.

On river, it looks like you are probably lost, but given that you showed weakness by checking, you need to call there,as you did. Your check is good and you need to check with the intension of calling. you played this hand well.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 PM

3rd street: Exactly what I would have done.

4th street: I would probably bet out here, because the only two boards behind you don't look that powerful, unless you knew the guy with Q5s is agressive and would be with any pair, a flush draw, a three flush, or basically anything, you're risking a free card.

5th street: Yeah, exactly what I would have done.

6th street: I probably would CHECK here, because so long as he has a pair, with your board he will call and he'll outdraw you often. he's not folding and this value bet only gives you a small expectation, if he checks behind, that's a good sign because he only has one card to outdraw you with.

7th Street: I would probably call here, but its a really weak call. typical players wont bet as a bluff on the end, espescially if you bet/raised the whole way, so given how the hand developed, i think you might be able to fold here. would the guy bluff? would he value bet one pair? if he would bluff, or value bet one pair, your call is 100% correct. even if you made a mistake on calling the last bet, it's a very tiny mistake and not a big deal.

overall: i think you played the hand very well. you should so considerable long term profit on this situation.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM

At this level, I'm surprised anybody folded...that being said, your villian appears to have a draw of some kind..most likely a heart draw. Since he bet into you on the river, I suspect he got there.

I think you played it fine. I probably wouldn't have check/raised 4th but just bet out instead...he thats a good play too.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM

I am giving him odds on 5. and on 6. street by betting - so why bet at all? That is what is confusing me. Is it correct to bet here or is it meaningless?

I checked 7 street because I figured he might bluff at it and that I will only get called if I am beat. I would also fold to a raise so I decided to check call.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:20 PM

on 6th street the pair of aces is still the favorite to one pair and a flush draw so it needs to be bet. bet when the advantage is yours.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:22 PM

Your opponent may have odds to draw to you, but you have the best chance of winning and theirfore the best equity in the pot and thus need to be maximizing your potential win by betting the most you can, even if it is correct for him to call.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Although I think the way you played it is fine, I think another option is to try the "stop and go" play, i.e., check on 6th street to see what he does. Invariably if opponent checks when you do this it means he is still on a draw or he just has a small pair. If opponent bets, it invariably means he has completed his draw or has at least two small pairs. This is information that you don't get by betting out.

When opponent checks behind me on 6th street in these situations, I auto-bet the river regardless of what I get and find that opponent will fold 80-90% of the time. When opponent bets on 6th street I will call and check-fold the river unimproved or check-call the river improved.

I'm not suggesting this is a more correct way to play 6th and 7th streets in these situations, but just an alternative to mix your game up a little, and as a way to find out where you stand on 6th street.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When opponent checks behind me on 6th street in these situations, I auto-bet the river regardless of what I get and find that opponent will fold 80-90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
If true, this is a strong argument for check-raising or check-calling the river, not for betting the river.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on 6th street the pair of aces is still the favorite to one pair and a flush draw so it needs to be bet. bet when the advantage is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you could see his cards betting is certainly the right play.