Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: How to choose a tennis racket

sorry for the over analysis.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 AM

Hey man,

stick to Wilson. It used to be that wilson was putting out a bunch of gimmicky rackets and Head overtook them, but Wilson has been putting out quality stuff recently.

Definitely pick a light racket with maneuverability. You don't want to pick a "players" racket because it'll be too difficult to use. Don't pick a tweener either.

I would suggest going to www.tenniswarehouse.com. it has tons of reviews and will help you pick a good racket.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/desc...EAD-LMRAD.html

Great beginner's racket. Get the OS one. 107 Head 11oz, and a low stiffness which would be easier on the arm for you for now. This is a great 1st real racket.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPDP.html
A little more advance lots of power a high stiffness. 100 head size. A fun racket to use.

Go by the the head size of the racket then go by the weight (smaller and heavier= more advanced)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

just forget about reviews, forget what others say fits them best, what a good beginner racket is supposed to be like etc.
you HAVE to try it yourself.
when i started out, my trainer could give me a couple of rackets i could try: two wilson, a prince and a yonex. he was quite surprised to find out that the yonex fit me best by far, because it was very heavy and had a small head, a racket that usually does not fit beginners. but for me it just happen to be perfect, and i play it to this day.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just forget about reviews, forget what others say fits them best, what a good beginner racket is supposed to be like etc.
you HAVE to try it yourself.
when i started out, my trainer could give me a couple of rackets i could try: two wilson, a prince and a yonex. he was quite surprised to find out that the yonex fit me best by far, because it was very heavy and had a small head, a racket that usually does not fit beginners. but for me it just happen to be perfect, and i play it to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying go by the reviews. they are mostly from 4.5-6 players.

These are rackets that i have used as my 1st real rackets as a beginner, and had best experience with.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey man,

Definitely pick a light racket with maneuverability. You don't want to pick a "players" racket because it'll be too difficult to use. Don't pick a tweener either.

I would suggest going to www.tenniswarehouse.com. it has tons of reviews and will help you pick a good racket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennis warehouse is awesome and I second going there. Ton of info about racquets, strings, and everything else.

I kind of hate "game improvement" racquets though. They are just too damn light and head heavy. They are terrible for your arm. I also think they provide too much power and make it hard to develop a solid, heavy topspin, forehand stroke. You'll blow the ball past your opponent's baseline constantly. I think oversize "tweener" racquets are better beginner racquets. They are heavier but not too heavy. They will still have a decently large sweet spot and still provide a good amount of power, both helpful for new players. Most of them are head light too, which is good for your arm. An example of a racquet I think is pretty good for a male player just learning tennis is Prince Hybrid Shark. Even the midplus version of that racquet isn't horrible for a male beginner if you're pretty athletic and think you will pick up tennis fairly quickly. You probably want to get a racquet with a strung weight of at least 10.2 oz, but probably not more than 11.4 right now.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:30 AM

Thank you all for the replies!

Today i am going to a nice tennis store and hopefully i can try some of the rackets. I'll let you know as soon as i decide on which one to choose as soul mate!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 AM

Ok!
I am now the proud owner of a Babolat Pure Drive, Roddick's Edition. It was around $250 strung. Also played with it for like 5 minutes before i bought it. It felt great!
It has all the specifications i was searching for - heavier than what the market usually advertises, 100" headsize, head-light and with a slim overgrip fits perfect in my hand.
Here's a link: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPDR.html
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok!
I am now the proud owner of a Babolat Pure Drive, Roddick's Edition. It was around $250 strung. Also played with it for like 5 minutes before i bought it. It felt great!
It has all the specifications i was searching for - heavier than what the market usually advertises, 100" headsize, head-light and with a slim overgrip fits perfect in my hand.
Here's a link: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPDR.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stick man, enjoy. I tried it a few months back -- it was too much pop. I am sticking with Head Liquidmetal Prestige but looking at the new Nadal Babolats.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried it a few months back -- it was too much pop.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's all about POP, baby! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]