Default Re: Help me choose 4 cities to live next year

[ QUOTE ]

My wife

crazy idea

- We prefer a progressive city,

<font color="red">incompatible with </font>

- Cities whose citizens are very respectful of the law

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, i think that large, liberal, artsy cities are all expensive.

That being said, I would choose 4 from this list:

San Fran
Vancouver
San Diego
Chicago (if you go in spring or fall you are OK- in the winter there are 3 temperatures: cold, butt cold, and [censored] butt cold)
Seattle
Boston

Also, I don't think the 3 month idea works. To experience a place you really need to live there and I think 2 years is the minimum. I mean, if you are considering something like Chicago to move to, you will have to deal with the three temperatures eventually.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your entire OP sounds like it was written by selfish parents. Don't do this to the 4 year old, man that's just [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm, the main reason (as in NUMERO UNO) to look for a city different from El Paso, TX is our kids future.

Still, I'm interested of course, Could you elaborate why something like this would be bad for our 4 year old? Do you think the experience would be traumatic or something like that? Do you have any experience with something like this? Any link to an article I should read?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your entire OP sounds like it was written by selfish parents. Don't do this to the 4 year old, man that's just [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm, the main reason (as in NUMERO UNO) to look for a city different from El Paso, TX is our kids future.

Still, I'm interested of course, Could you elaborate why something like this would be bad for our 4 year old? Do you think the experience would be traumatic or something like that? Do you have any experience with something like this? Any link to an article I should read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? How is moving four times in a year good for a child who is just beginning to develop friendships?

It's required in many cases but instability in the home as you jaunt about isn't what a 4 year old needs. This is head poundingly bad.

J
Old 08-27-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vegas ftw!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi renodoc:

Vegas was on our short list, mostly because of my job (tournament poker player), and I think the cost of living there is pretty cheap. But for some reason, I think the city is not a good environment to raise a family, what do you think about this?
I had the chance to talk with Carlos Mortensen and Cecilia about this (Are they still married BTW?), and they of course thought the city was fine to raise a family based on the neighborhood they lived, but their reasons didn't convinced me, I don't know, you know, sin city, don't get me wrong, I love Vegas and we go over there a lot, and maybe it's a prejudice, but the locals over there always look pretty stressed and not pretty happy with their lives.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? How is moving four times in a year good for a child who is just beginning to develop friendships?

It's required in many cases but instability in the home as you jaunt about isn't what a 4 year old needs. This is head poundingly bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I need to research more about the effects for the children. We just had a long (one month) trip , we drove a lot, took many flights, went to Houston-New Orleans-Toronto-Carolinas and both of them were pretty happy all the trip, but of course it's only one month versus one year.

BTW, we're thinking about home-schooling him (not decided yet) and he has never been on day care or any school yet, always home with us.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:07 AM

san francisco.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for people who've lived in vancouver...... isn't it really cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, are you serious? It basically never gets below -5 (celcius), and is usually well above freezing in winter. It rarely has snow that sticks for any substantial period of time. Obviously it isn't Miami, but it's quite a bit warmer than Chicago come winter.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, are you serious? It basically never gets below -5

[/ QUOTE ]

Celsius, right?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 AM

right. we have basically the same climate as seattle/portland/northern california. it's actually a little better than seattle/portland, because we're much more sheltered in general.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's actually a little better than seattle/portland, because we're much more sheltered in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to ask that, since so many people have mentioned Vancouver and Seattle. What are the main differences?
Is playing online poker still illegal in Washington?