Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 AM

Default NL25: Medium overpair 3-bet OOP

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($22.85)
SB ($4.80)
BB ($41.25)
Hero ($24.65)
MP ($25.20)
CO ($29.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($7.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($13.85) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

I tend to get a little lost with these small overpairs. Is it reasonable to ignore all the times villain has AK/AQ and check/fold the flop? Villain's bets were so weak that I wasn't sure whether I should credit him with a hand or not.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: NL25: Medium overpair 3-bet OOP

id probably c/r the flop and fold to a rr
Old 05-16-2007, 04:46 AM

Check folding flop here is weak, and not a good play in my opinion. Unless you've seen that villain will only min reraise pf with premium pairs than I kinda like just check calling, and trying to get to showdown for cheap. If he makes another small bet on the river I'm not sure, but I think I would look him up, and remember it for future reference.

As Bevill said, I think c/r the flop is probably best if you aren't comfortable calling down here, as it will most likely yield you the information you need to play the hand any further right away.

P.S. I love your sourdough snacks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 AM

I get a bit lost in these spots too, and this is kindof my go to line as well. I don't know how much I like c/r flop, I just feel like we build too big a pot OOP like that.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 AM

c/r flop turns your hand into a bluff.. I'd rather c/r flop with 98o than with TT. I like the way you played it, maybe lead the turn and fold to a raise though.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 AM

i dont really see how a c/r turns our hand into a bluff?? Its pretty much for value IMO and if he rr then we can get away from our hand pretty easy...i dont mind the c/c flop and b/f to raise on turn line either though
Old 05-16-2007, 06:01 AM

I would consider it more of a semi-bluff. We may very likely have the best hand on the flop(as I'm not too quick to just give these guys credit for having a big pocket pair because of the min 3bet pf), and if we are infact in the lead, then the check raise protects our hand, and get value.

Still, I'm not completely aware of hero's image, nor villain's perceived style of play, so it's tough to say what's best. I feel I probably should have worded my response to check raising a bit differently to say that c/r may be best in that situation, and not is.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM

I'm kinda confused here, to be honest. Why is everyone talking c/r here? My normal line would be to bet this flop. Is there a good reason not to bet? Unless we have a read on villain it seems like we have a good chance to be ahead. Is the idea to let him cbet a missed flop?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda confused here, to be honest. Why is everyone talking c/r here? My normal line would be to bet this flop. Is there a good reason not to bet? Unless we have a read on villain it seems like we have a good chance to be ahead. Is the idea to let him cbet a missed flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop, call flop and bet turn...I think both of those are fine, and much better than a c/r (or c/f, wtf, we can't c/f this flop with a hand this good.)
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM

i dont really like to bet the flop, by c/r we get a cbet out of villian most the time. Bettin the flop could get him to fold alot of hands that did not hit...i still stick with c/r flop or c/c flop led turn...