Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Default AKs - what to do, what to do?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $42.45
BB: $28.70
UTG: $53.50
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $50.00</font>
CO: $47.75
BTN: $51.80

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">Just sat down, but in the 13 hands so far seen/played villain has shown to be an extreme lagtard, stacking off for $20 with 86o when he hit a pair of 8 on the flop to another player in a limped pot.

Is there any way I can call here?</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.00</font>, CO calls $3.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($14.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6.00</font>, Hero calls $6.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($26.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20.00</font>, Hero????
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: AKs - what to do, what to do?

I think if you led out on the turn you would have more info on where you stand in this hand. At this point, you've shown alot of weakness. I call this.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM

If he's crazy like you say he is, we should only c/r for value on the flop, otherwise I think it's best to raise more..

I think the turn is a feeler bet by him..he most likely has a pair or FD.

The river has to be a call imo the way this was played.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 AM

Honestly, you played the AK too far. Yes, it's suited, but you didn't flop teh draw. Yes, AK looks pretty, but it's a drawing hand only. The sooner you start to re-think how you play AK, the better off you'll be.

The re-raise on the flop was fine - to get info. I think you got your info and you should be done with the hand right there. The 3s only compounded the issue.

"Lagtards" catch hands when you least expect them too.

Additionally, I think you should have raised more pre-flop. Maybe to $3.50 or $4 - whatever you think would get everyone to fold. You really don't want to see flops with AK. Now, if someone calls, that should tell you they have a big hand - theorectically, as it depends on the players. If you get re-raised, you should let it go, because you should be up against KK or AA, even QQ from a looser player. Raising to $2 doesn't give you much info as any loose player is going to call w/ most A's, any PP and most suited (or un-suited connectors). Make it unprofitable or at least uncomfortable for them to call.

But to answer your question - No. You cannot call there.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 AM

I would c-bet that flop (pot sized) and fold to a raise.
When you called the turn you should of decided if that A/K 's were outs not just spades.
As this was played I think you need to call here but I don't like it.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM

Flop check-raise is meh, and anything it did for you is wasted once you check the turn. I would probably bet out 7-9 on the turn and fold to any decent raise. As played, you definatly can (and SHOULD) call this river.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM

I think you played it well. Reraise on flop to try and take the pot away from any mediocre weak hands. Calling the turn when you pick up the flush draw, you're getting good implied odds. As played call the river.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Against these players you need to be looking to hit a hand and value betting it, not making crazy plays on the flop. This is a terrible flop to cbet as well. It is drawy as hell and it is all low cards, so he will be most likely calling you with any pocket pair he might have. Against this sort of player and with this flop I usually just give up and move on to the next hand.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM

The flop c/r kindof sucks. No hand is folding to it, and your read is such that he's not folding pairs. If you want to do this as a bluff, raise it more. Against this guy I would not try to get tricky. Lead the flop, fold to further aggression unless you pick up something. You know this guy doesn't like folding pairs, so don't try to make him.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:27 PM

Well, I appreciate all the feedback and thoughtful analysis. Having just made the jump from NL25, I'm still adjusting. It was a poorly played hand when I look back at it (or at least weakly), although to answer one poster, I did count the ace and king as outs along with the flush draw, which I feel necessitated the river call. Little did I know...if only a spade had hit (results):

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $42.45
BB: $28.70
UTG: $53.50
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $50.00</font>
CO: $47.75
BTN: $51.80

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00, 3 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($4.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.00</font>, CO calls $3.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($14.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6.00</font>, Hero calls $6.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($26.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20.00</font>, Hero calls $20.00

Pot Size: $66.75 ($3 Rake)

CO had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a straight, Three to Seven) and WON (+$30.75)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-$33.00)[/list]