Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Default how do i beat passive pre-flop super aggressive postflop players

hi, iv been playing 25NL for a while now, and i keep coming across a player type. he limps pre-flop a lot of the time even with hands like KK, and calls a ton of raises whether in possition or out and he never 3bets.

but post-flop he will c/c almost all cbets or donk and then call RR. then on turn and river he will bet if checked to, re-raise if flush hits or flop was paired sometimes ect.. and i will normally have no hand, and when i do, it wont allways be strong enought to call down with, say midpair or something.
and also, when i do have a good enough hand to play a big pot with him like TP/3k or overpair, he folds :-\ or in the few cases when they do call me down/make a move, they suck out on later streets.

iv asked about this, on other forums and iv asked my coach, but i get answers like, dont-cbet, and if i dont c-bet then they will just bet it and take it down... so anyone have any suggestions plz?

thnx
Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: how do i beat passive pre-flop super aggressive postflop players

Against this type of player I tend to:
- overlimp (limp behind) more than I otherwise would
- raise less frequently
- raise to a smaller amount (say 3bb as apposed to 4bb)
- c-bet less - mix up my flop lines more. If I'm going to c-bet less I'm also going to check more flops when I do make a hand.

Lucky
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM

thank you

what is the name for these player types?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a name for them, though I see this type of player often (On one site that I play a few mediocre regs fit this profile). Honestly, it is somewhat hard, but not impossible, to win playing they way they are playing.

Lucky
Old 11-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Position will help a lot, because you can check behind on a lot of flops (after you raise PF), and this way only the turn and river are available for betting, so you won't be playing huge pots with marginal hands.

Out of position, raise tighter, and be prepared to play for stacks with hands like AQ on a A-8-6-3 board, or 10-10 on a rag board, etc (does he get to showdown a lot?). Try for -bet flop and check/raise turn- lines with very strong hands.

Be prepared to concede a lot of smaller pots in exchange for huge edges in medium and large pots. These types of opponents are gold mines once you get past the frustration of missing and giving up most small pots.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you

[/ QUOTE ]
These are called loose-passive/aggressive players(loose-passive preflop/aggressive post flop). If you're using GameTime+ or PAHUD and you see an icon of a dice (die) that's what it represents. If you see a Tazmanian Devil icon, it represents loose-aggressive/aggressive (loose-aggressive preflop/aggressive post flop).

Loose-aggressive/passive players typically have stats like 35/15/1 (limping a lot and raising a decent amount preflop and calling a lot post flop...rarely raising post flop...if they do they have a very strong hand).

Loose-aggressive/aggressive players will tend to be 40/25/5 (raising a lot preflop, betting/raising and rarely folding post flop). Their stats are atrocious and can usually be called down light while they bluff a lot. It's best to have postition against these LAGtards because they will put you to the test everytime you're in the pot against them.

AC
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM

if a player is letting you see cheap flops and betting all the subsequent streets, just limp in a lot of flops and c/f unless you flop something good; if you flop something let him do the betting for you.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 PM

thnx guys
i think my problem this time was not having possition on him then, i was sat to his right, so i only had possition when on button :-\

so you would recomend me limping with scs and smallish pps then? what hands would i be raising then? only AJ-AK and nice suited broadway like JTs or JKs and 99up?

not sure i like limping, but i will try it when i come across another one of these players.
i appreciate the advice given, thnx
Old 11-20-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thnx guys
i think my problem this time was not having possition on him then, i was sat to his right, so i only had possition when on button :-\

so you would recomend me limping with scs and smallish pps then? what hands would i be raising then? only AJ-AK and nice suited broadway like JTs or JKs and 99up?

not sure i like limping, but i will try it when i come across another one of these players.
i appreciate the advice given, thnx

[/ QUOTE ]
Open limping (if you're playing 6-max is really bad). With suited connectors you can call a limp and the closer you are to the button (like the cutoff or the button) you will want to raise these hands. Read Tien's post on 6-max fundamentals found HERE for more information on how to play pocket pairs, suited connectors, broadways, and big aces from all positions. I hope this helps.

AC
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM

+1

Against this type of player I tend to:
- overlimp (limp behind) more than I otherwise would
- raise less frequently
- raise to a smaller amount (say 3bb as apposed to 4bb)
- c-bet less - mix up my flop lines more. If I'm going to c-bet less I'm also going to check more flops when I do make a hand.