Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 05:09 PM

Default When villain tells you what your cards are

I think this might be more along the lines of strategy, but this particular villain just called me out:

I am playing fairly TAG for 1 hour at this table of 25NL on Full Tilt and people are really starting to respect my raises. I'm up a little more than a buy in when this extreme LAG sits down and starts raising AI 4/5 of his first hands on the flop winning one of them to double up.

So I sit back and wait for a shot and pick up TT in MP raising to 4x BB. The table goes around like machine gun fire to LAG in BB who calls.

Flop is 772r and he checks. I put in a PSB and am fully prepared to push any non face card turn. Then he says, "Fold, 1010 is no good here" and pushes all in.

So this freaks me out and I obviously fold because we both have no reads on each other. Afterwards I'm thinking, if he knew that my hand was no good, why would he want me to fold?

But at the same time maybe he was trying to lure me in by saying that. I've never had that happen to me before (only with players where I've had at least 100-200 hands), and it pretty much put me on tilt so I immediately left the table.

What do you do in this situation?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: When villain tells you what your cards are

Most times I say call. Hears y, think of what hes doing U pet pf 4XBB he knows your hand is good but if you wanted an allin prflop you would have checked and let him do it instead u put in a bet that says "I will call a LAG preflop allin but its not so good that I want to call it cold." what good hands does that leave u with AQ, JJ, 1010, and a few other posibule hands, so his guess is not all that surprising. Now y would he guess your hand and say its no good. if he has js or better he wants that call and does not want to scare u off. theres a slight chance he does have a monster and wants to scare the whole table but unless he showed the monster this is not the case. I would call him just for the info if your a note taker. I would allso put in my notes that I called him so next time I would have a clue as to what he does. If I did fold as you did I would sit and watch him till he left takeing notes for my revenge, a great way to use your tilt for good.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:10 AM

When you guess your opponents hands occasionally you will get one right. Clearly he is a horrible player. This is most likely the case. Call.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 AM

He's been all-in 4 of his first 5 hands. You have an overpair. This isn't rocket science. Just call. I doubt the crazy LAG who sat down has magic mind reading capabilities against you.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's been all-in 4 of his first 5 hands. You have an overpair. This isn't rocket science. Just call. I doubt the crazy LAG who sat down has magic mind reading capabilities against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

What were you afraid of exactly? Losing? Having to show him his lucky guess was right and inspire false confidence? Calling was +EV even if you lost.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 AM

Also, he may have been datamining or observing before he sat in, so he could have had a read on you and the table. How much did he sit down with? I've seen lots who sit with min buy-in and just AI every hand until they double up once or twice, switch tables, rinse, repeat.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Snapcall and congratulate him on his sick read as the pot is shipped to you.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...it pretty much put me on tilt so I immediately left the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you leave the table? Had you soaked your trousers with urine?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Afterwards I'm thinking, if he knew that my hand was no good, why would he want me to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're way overthinking it trying to get into his head. He's no master of psychology if he raised 4/5 hands all in pre-flop. This is an easy call.

BTW, he didn't know you had TT, and he didn't know your hand was no good.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Afterwards I'm thinking, if he knew that my hand was no good, why would he want me to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're way overthinking it trying to get into his head. He's no master of psychology if he raised 4/5 hands all in pre-flop. This is an easy call.

BTW, he didn't know you had TT, and he didn't know your hand was no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe he's a high stakes player blowing off steam (so his read is correct) and he wants to tilt the Tag-nit at the table. Standard schadenfreude scenario. If someone calls out my exact hand at a table I'm going to make a note on it and give him the benefit of the doubt. Then I'm going to see if he can do it again later. It's much more likely that it's not just a guess. I would fold here.

One thing you can infer though is that villian probably doesn't read poker forums as he typed "1010" instead of "TT."