Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Pick the five sporting events you wish you had seen in person

1957 German GP - Fangio's legendary drive at Nurburgring
1985 - Hagler v Hearns
1960's Rugby League Grand Final with Johnny Raper
1997 Masters
1961 Indy 500 - Jack Brabham ushers in the modern era in a rear engined lightweight GP car
Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 AM

Either home game of the White Sox '05 WS win.

I've been to every White Sox home opener this decade, and I went to three playoff games (both divisonal, and game one of the alcs, the only game they lost in the playoffs).

I had a chance at first row in the outfield tickets for 500 bucks a piece, and at the time it was too much money for me. I mean, it really wasn't, I had made over five figures from online poker, but it seemed like a lot of money.

Now, it seems like nothing, and I'm very angry because I was at an age that I was so full of excitement about the team (still am, obviously, but 18 years old is so prime for sporting events).

Shoulda probably gone to da bears super bowl game last year too, but all I keep hearing are terrible things about the Super Bowl- and that you're much better off watching it on TV.

Also, the rest of my list would be Indiana high school basketball games that you guys haven't heard of; but if you're a basketball fan, probably the best games that basketball has ever seen have come inside a packed gym in the state of Indiana. Specifically, Milan in 54.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the rest of my list would be Indiana high school basketball games that you guys haven't heard of; but if you're a basketball fan, probably the best games that basketball has ever seen have come inside a packed gym in the state of Indiana. Specifically, Milan in 54.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about Plump's Last Shot, but that certainly should be a top option. I would also have loved to see the Semi-State final that year with Milan vs. Crispus Attucks. Plump vs. Oscar Robertson.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM

The shot heard 'round the world Thomson homer would probably be my number-one choice, mainly because Underworld by Don Delillo is one of my favorite novels, and that game plays a major role both plot-wise and thematically. Also, I love baseball more than any other sport by a lot.

And for a non-nerdy-literary-guy answer, probably either the '92 or '93 Super Bowls. I am a big Cowboys fan, and I was a little too young to really appreciate just how good and exciting that team was at the time.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM

Like many, #1 would be the Miracle on Ice. I remember screaming myself hoarse watching it on television and to have been part of that crowd would have been simply amazing.

The next two are events I could have attended but didn't:

Game 1 of the '88 World Series; I lived in LA at the time and was watching the game on TV. One of those cases where if only I had known I'd have paid some mad coin to actually be present.

Another game that I was actually invited to and had to decline: Dennis Martinez' perfect game against the Dodgers in 1991. I'm a baseball fan and the opportunity to see a perfect game, well, at least my buddy went. I know, I know, I should be saying Larsen's perfect game in '56 but again the theme of these first few choices is events I could have seen in person and didn't.

The next one is a historical event:

I'm a huge racing fan so the incredible photo finish of the 1959 Daytona 500 would have been something to see in person.

I don't really have a good #5. However, think about how wild it would have been to see the game played by the Incas/Mayans/Aztecs (not sure which) where they had to get the ball through the stone rings mounted up on the wall.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Witnessing the first WNBA championship would've been A-MAZING! Also, I wish I was there to support Jamie Gold win the main event.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. 2005 Ashes Series (England win)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ including this. A series win by england only 'cause the Australian team was horribly injury stricken (although I'll concede that the 2nd test was excellent) is an absurd inclusion in any list attempting to be five great memorable events. It's like claiming that Joe Hachem's WSOP victory is one of the greatest ever 'cause you haven't seen anything prior to 2004 - there's no need to limit yourself to recent memory,

If you're going to consider cricket events, some that are far more worthy to include are:

1) The underarm bowl - Still a sore spot 26 years later

2) Bodyline series - like, honestly, even though England won, it is miles ahead of the 2005 Ashes series as a tribute to some incredibly physical and demanding cricket.

3) Bradman's final innings - see 99.94 be etched on a national psyche

4) Herschel Gibbs dropping the World Cup - probably one of the best sledges of all time

5) Warne's 'bowl of the century'

6) Any of a series of innings by Bradman, W.G. Grave, or Herb Sutton (if you're English, I guess - with these guys playing on uncovered pitches). Some of the other great innings by Richards, Sobers, and the 1970s/1980s West Indies team would also have to be up there

7) The tied tests
Old 09-14-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in 2004-2005 illinois had one of the best teams in the country. in the elite 8 we had one of the best comebacks in ncaa basketball history - down 15 points with 4:04 remaining we came back to win and ruin my bracket.

[/ QUOTE ] TC, Thanks for reminding me.

Stanford - Cal: It makes me smile everytime I see a replay, it must have been remarkable to watch live.

Boise St - Oklahoma: I loved it on TV, I've loved it everytime I've seen it since.

USA - Australia (2000 Olympics): Who wouldn't want to see Vinsanity jump over a 7 foot guy

John Tyler - Plano East (1994 Texas HS Playoffs): I was crazy about that team. Winning 41-17 with 2:30 to go they allowed Plano East to score, recover 3 onside kicks, and take the lead (44-41) with a second (or two) on the clock. They (John Tyler) then took the kickoff to the house to win 48-44. They won an ESPY. And the state championship.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Kinda new to this forum but I love this subject:

1) Travis Pastrana double back flip

This was one of the sickest things anyone has ever done in xaction sports, and the place went crazy for ever. I was sponsered to aggressive inline skate for a while, so this always gets me. I cant watch the youtube video without getting goose bumps.

2) Ali - Rumble in the Jungle

Oh where to start. Ali's comeback against the great Geaorge Foreman. Ali talks mad ish here and shows off the 'rope a dope' strat on bigger boxers. He was great. I did meet him at a McDonalds about 10 years ago. Also, a fun fact, this was Don 'im crooked as ish' King's first fight as a promoter.

3) 1980 US Olympic Hockey team

I was not even born, but the implications of this game was unbelivable. I could not even imagine the pressure on both teams, and the loss that must have been not only felt by the russion team, but by communist countries everywhere. If there were even premitted to watch it.

4) Derek Fisher last .4 second shot on the Spurs game 5 western conference championship

I am a huge basketball fan and I did like the Lakers then. (Sue me) That shot followed a supurb shot by Tim Duncan and nothing would have been better than to see that live. That shot broke the back of the Spurs.

5) I know this is garbage, but anything with Tiger Woods.

I would watch him hit off the driving range if I was allowed. Im not going to try and get greedy and ask for one of his comebacks or a domination weekend. Who wouldnt want to watch the most dominating person in any sport, at any time.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM

"Boise St - Oklahoma: I loved it on TV, I've loved it everytime I've seen it since."

QFT

Also the playoff game between Indana Pacers and New York Knicks where Reggie scored like 118 points in 8 seconds.

Daytona 500 when Earnhardt got killed. I don't even know why.

The Indy 500 where one car got airborn and one cars tire hit Roberto Gurrero's helmet - Oh wait I was at that one.

Last but not least the time the Memphis Grizzlies won their first ever playoff game.