Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Pick the five sporting events you wish you had seen in person

Game 8 of the '72 Summit Series. Canada win's 6 - 5 on a goal by Paul Hendersen with seconds left in the 8th game in a series that we were supposed to win right away.

Probably the biggest moment in Canadian hockey.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only have one...Game 7 of the 97 World Series...I'm a huge Marlins fan, but especially that entire year following that team was my main interest as I was like 11 years old, Marlins ended up winning in the bottom of the 11th so obv the game was insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. 1950 world cup, a lot of the team grew up in the same neighborhood as I did, my grandpa was friends with a lot of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention that most players were from St. Louis because the coach was from there and familiar with them. Interesting, about your grandfather.

Have you read The Game of Their Lives? I would highly recommend it specifically for you given the grandfather thing and also that they talk about how their neighborhoods were. For someone from there who knows more about how they are now I think it would be more interesting.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. 1950 world cup, a lot of the team grew up in the same neighborhood as I did, my grandpa was friends with a lot of them

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to mention that most players were from St. Louis because the coach was from there and familiar with them. Interesting, about your grandfather.

Have you read The Game of Their Lives? I would highly recommend it specifically for you given the grandfather thing and also that they talk about how their neighborhoods were. For someone from there who knows more about how they are now I think it would be more interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent read the book, but I saw the movie, and actually a lot of it was filmed on my block, and a couple surrounding blocks, it was a big deal when they did the filming around here, and there about 20 extras that are neighborhood people. Ill check it out this week on amazon though, thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, one other soccer match that would be awesome to see would be the 1994 Caribbean Cup preliminary-round match between Barbados and Grenada. Barbados went into the match needing to win by two goals or more to advance to the next round. The organizers had a bizarre rule, never to be seen again no doubt, that if a team won in extra time (aka overtime) then they would be credited with a two goal victory.

Barbados were ahead 2-0 and good to go to advance when Grenada scored to make it 2-1 in the 83rd minute. Because extra time is 30 minutes, Barbados decided that they had a better shot then so they scored an on themselves to make the score 2-2. For the last five minutes, Grenada tried to score in either goal to either go ahead or lose but only by a goal. So you had Barbados defending both goals. Pretty crazy stuff. They got the job done and it went into extra time and Barbados scored, were given credit for a two goal victory and advanced over Grenada into the next round.

I probably wouldn't choose this as one of my five, but I think it's more interesting than listing the five most important or best matches of my favorite teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow,that sounds ridiculous,great story.do you have a link to where you read about it?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 PM

found a youtube link,sadly no footage of when they were defending both goals.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xm1LFyS94
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wow,that sounds ridiculous,great story.do you have a link to where you read about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wikipedia page has a description. Here is another.

I would certainly be willing to pay for a video of the last 10 minutes or so and the extra time.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM

In no particular order...

1. The Merkle Game - Giants rookie Fred Merkle fails to touch second base on a single and sets the stage for the Cubs to win the 1908 NL pennant and World Series.

2. The Sandberg Game - Two blasts off of Bruce Sutter to give the Cubs an improbable win on Game Of The Week.

3. The Miracle On Ice.

4. The 1896 Olympic Games. Just to see how the modern games started.

5. Indiana 74 Syracuse 73. Keith Smart!!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 AM

I have 3 :

Super Bowl XL - Only because I'm a HUGE steelers fan and I'm not old enough for the glory years of the 70's. There had been a ton of heartache due to the Steelers coming close, but it was all worth it. I have to admit though, I did have a blast being in Pittsburgh for the game since I couldn't afford to go to Detroit.

Game 1 1988 World Series - I'm not a Dodgers fan, but I grew up always a big baseball fan and this had to be one of the most awesome moment in sports IMO. That whole at-bat brings chills whenever I see it.

The Miracle On Ice - Obvious reasons
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Ohio State over Miami for National Championship
Ali vs. Frazer 1971
Texas over USC for National Championship
USA vs. Soviet Union in hockey 1980
1997 Masters