Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Some advice/direction wanted!

Ok so heres my poker story so far...

I began about 6 months ago playing online and deposited money and bust out a few times. The reason for this was due to my inexperience I was playing too high limits for my bank roll to cope with the variance. The highest I got was $300 before playing like a donk for a couple of weeks and busting out.

About two months ago I deposited $50 and promised myself I would treat it like it was all I had. It dropped down to about $25 before I began to find success in the micro cash games. I was also playing $1 18 and 45 person sng's but was pretty much keeping conatant in these. So over the last few months I have built my bankroll up to $100 (very pleased!) playing in the .02/.05 ring games on PokerStars.
Just tonight I entered a $4 180 entrants tournament and managed to win it (very very pleased!) which brings my bankroll to just over $300.
I would very much like your advice on what is the best way to proceed with this. I have a plan to move up to the .05/.10 and maybe try my hand at the .10/.25. The max buy-in for the later game is $25 which is just under 10% of my bankroll and I'm thinking this may still be too great. The max buy-in for the .05/.10 is $10 which is less than 5% of my bankroll and I've read that this is a good figure to keep to!

Any words of advice and your poker wisdom is much appreciated!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Some advice/direction wanted!

Just keep to where you are comfortable, I wouldn't really want to risk 5% of bankroll cause you will have lots of swings but it depends if you think you can beat the game or not. If you want to move I usually watch some tables for a bit see how play and play conservative when you start in a new limit.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 AM

good advice coldcards, I think your doing fine, keep grinding away, from playing the .02,.05, .1 and .25 bb at stars the big jump is at .25, and even there there not brilliant, but it's a big jump from the .10 cent which is very beatable. I average 21 bb/100 at .02, 12 bb/100 at .05, and 6 bb/100 at .10. I played way outside my roll at .25 and my bb was -21 bb/100.

SOunds like your doing good, keep grinding away, and once you start smashing the games and ur br is good, move up and test the waters for both cash games and sngs, sounds like ur doing good at the sngs and tourneys keep it up.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 AM

A hidden forum.