Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Some big names at WSOP...pretty average in person

So I havn't checked in to the forum in a while. Just been so busy playing and i didn't have computer accessable for a while, but now im back. I've been at WSOP since the start and played 9 events, no cashes, lots of bad beats, wah wah wah wah, whatever its the WSOP everyone has their story.

However, has anyone else playing some of the events and side game action realized how incredibly average some of the bigger name pros are? Let me grab you gents some examples I or friends have witnessed at the table.

Lets start with names you might have heard of, Evelyn Ng, TJ Cloutier, David Chui. I watched Evelyn’s hand myself, in the $2500 NL short handed event. The button had just arrived on the table about 20 minutes ago with a pretty big stack and wasn’t really getting out of line with it. He seemed pretty content to wait for hands and try and stack people even though that’s a fairly poor strategy in a 6 max tournament. Either way with blinds 150/300 he raises to 900 on the button. Evelyn is in the SB and moves all in for 2000 total with KTo. The guy calls with AQ and she rivers a straight. Okay Ms. Ng, what the [censored] are you thinking? You know 100% your going to get called since he’s getting roughly 3 to 1 and the only few hands you MIGHT catch him with in his range are QJ/QT/JT. Anything else you are slight dog to MAJOR dog, with zero fold equity. After the hand the button criticized her play to which she responds “I don’t have to take this from you.” Classy.
The David Chui hand was printed inside one of the cardplayer daily reports. I’m recalling from about 2 days ago memory, and if somebody wants to pan out the details for me go ahead. The starting stacks were 120,000 for david and 70,000 for the other player. David raises to about 10,000 on the button with 33, and the BB moves all in for his 70 with AQ. David calls and the guy hits his Q. Uh, did you have a [censored] tee time to make here David? Did you read him for 22? Well done putting a huge % of your chips in with a hand that’s either a giant dog at worst and slight favorite at best when you’ve invested less than 10% of your chips. The guy already has two cashes this WSOP, but come on, what is he doing?
The TJ Cloutier hand is more of the same along the small pocket pair (44) calling off a large portion of his stack after someone pushes. Mark Vos witnessed the hand and can probably recall the details better than I can, save to say when I heard it I just couldn’t figure out if he’d always played this way or maybe he was getting a bit soft in his old age. Or maybe he sold 150% of himself again?

Anyway guys i should really meet some of you other 2+2ers out there and discuss how much cooler/smarter we are than everyone else. I'll meet you all at the dinner best of luck to all in main event.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Some big names at WSOP...pretty average in person

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway guys i should really meet some of you other 2+2ers out there and discuss how much cooler/smarter we are than everyone else. I'll meet you all at the dinner best of luck to all in main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, they do that in OOT and N,V,G forums.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 PM

Oh and photo you picture reminds me. Has anyone noticed that allen cunninghamn in person looks a lot like teddy KGB minus 10 years and the beard?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:54 PM

This is a joke, right? Anyway moving allin with KT after a button raise, and calling the possible re-steal with a pair (33) seem absolutely standard.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a joke, right? Anyway moving allin with KT after a button raise, and calling the possible re-steal with a pair (33) seem absolutely standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

KT, whatever it was shorthanded, but the 33, come on, risking over half your stack when u are best racing and at worst drawing to two outs. with that big of a stack, i don't know, seems like an easy fold
Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 PM

These plays are actually fairly standard.
33 is a decent hand for a button raise. if you continuously fold it to an all in its going to be a long day 6 handed.
KT is also above average so i dont see anything wrong with repopping a button raise.
Also evelyn is basically right to tell the guy not to criticize her play. No one should criticize anybody's play.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been at WSOP since the start and played 9 events, no cashes...
However, has anyone else playing some of the events and side game action realized how incredibly average some of the bigger name pros are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is this guy to say shiat??
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 PM

yeah Chiu sounds like he has a huge stack here and calling a huge bet might be questionable. On the other hand its probably likely the best way to play it. hes getting better than the right odds to call and it will definitely allow him to steal alot more pots. i think most top players would have played it the way David did.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 PM

lol, people actually thought Evelyn Ng was good?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:42 PM

This may be an assinign thinking on my part, and it probably is.

Maybe it is sort of the 'tee time' mentality. The 30-40K they'll (don't assume the HORSE event, it just sh*ts on my whole arguement which isnt that solid to begin w/) drop in WSOP buy-ins isn't that much to them, whereas to most mid-level and low limit players that's close to a year's salary.

They go w/ the double up or bust mentality I think.