Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Sunday 100 grand Hows my line here?

Sunday hundred grand yesterday, fifth level. Villian had played TAG, 10/9 over 50 or so hands. I had made a mental note to stay away from him with TP or even 2 pair if he was representing a strong hand as he had slow played 2 different sets and eliminated 2 players in the last couple of hands. I had been extremely card dead and this is the first truly playable hand I was dealt. How is my line here and how would you have played this differently if any?

Oh and the last hand I folded when my c-bet with small PP got checkraised and lost half my stack, does that make any difference here? I had put him on a wider range of hands PF due to the tilt factor after losing half my stack, i figured he would a call wider range with my pre-flop bet.

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 75/150 Blinds, 7 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: 2,640
BTN: 3,125
SB: 5,558
BB: 3,550
UTG: 4,910
UTG+1: 1,977
Hero (MP): 2,805

Pre-Flop: (225) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG calls 150, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 600</font>, CO folds, BTN calls 600, 3 folds, UTG calls 450

Flop: (2,025) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 1,000</font>, BTN calls 1,000, UTG folds

Turn: (4,025) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets 1,205 and is All-In</font>, BTN calls 1,205

River: (6,435) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 6,435 Pot (6,435 Rake)
Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Sunday 100 grand Hows my line here?

Looks fine to me although I probably just shove the flop
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too since I was committing myself with the flop bet. Would not have made a difference here but prob is more +ev in the long run, especially if he was on a FD but as TAG as he was I could not see him calling here with a draw.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM

With 18 BBs to start and only 14 after your raise, this is one of those spots where I'll decide that I'm committed to going all the way with this hand as soon as I hit the A or K on the flop. So I'd go into the mode of not worrying about pricing out draws... I'm simply looking to get the most money in the pot.

Therefore, if you think he's tight enough that he won't call your flop bet with a draw, then just check and let him lead out. It may be the only way you get any more of his money in.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too since I was committing myself with the flop bet. Would not have made a difference here but prob is more +ev in the long run, especially if he was on a FD but as TAG as he was I could not see him calling here with a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]You have TPTK and a PSB left in your stack on the flop. Shove the flop.

Be careful of weak flop bets with high implied odds where villain can call you with say 5-10 outs knowing you are pot committed and he'll get the rest of your stack if he improves on the turn. It's exploitable because he can fold the turn if he's beat but you cannot fold the turn if you're beat.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 PM

So BTN busted 2 players and has only 3K in chips? He busted 2 very short stacks, no?

Flop: 2K in the pot we have 2.2K and TPTK with a Draw-y board; I'd shove here.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So BTN busted 2 players and has only 3K in chips? He busted 2 very short stacks, no?

Flop: 2K in the pot we have 2.2K and TPTK with a Draw-y board; I'd shove here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Converter is messed up, villian is SB and I am in CO. Even so villian had busted the two players back to back but a few hands later he lost a decent sized pot set over set. Looking back it is so obvious to me that he is a set miner i think. In this hand I lost to a set of Jacks but other than pushing the flop instead of the smaller bet I would have played it the same. Thanks for the input.

As a side note, I use the preferred seating option at Stars for tournaments so when I multi I can look at the same seat on all 4 tables. This seems to mess up my converted hands. Anyone know what to do so it doesnt affect my converted hands?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM

So he had 3 sets in a few orbits...that's a Six Sigma Event and nothing we can do about it.

CC w JJ PF isn't set mining: it's tragic.

In any event it's irrelevant to what our move is on the Flop: Push, push (in the bush).
Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Your bet on the flop presents button with reverse implied odds, which kinduv sucks, though that so serious as your are not deep stack and are committed regardless. I like how the hand is played, I pot the flop.

Barry