Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Default KK 3-bet preflop, flopping overpair vs TAGgy player 210 BB deep

One of the things that I find hardest in NL is 3-betting (and handling 3-bets) pre-flop. The pot is huge from the get-go, and on top of that, you have little idea where you are a lot of the time.

In this hand, I had been pummeling the table, playing 26/18/5.5, stacking two donkies on monster flops (for me).
Villain is the most dangerous other player at the table, playing 19/19/4.5 over just 40 or so hands. He seemed to be a bit of the raise or fold type, but that's just a hunch really.

(Converter messed up, so I'm fixing by hand)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($48.10)
UTG ($104.70)
Button ($50.90)
Hero ($149.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.5</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $4.50.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $27</font>, Hero ???

I'm happy to here more suggestions with respect to SPR, but for me, this was the difficult decision point.

Edit: I'm putting this on the forum just before going to sleep, so it'll be a while before I look at this again.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: KK 3-bet preflop, flopping overpair vs TAGgy player 210 BB deep

When I 3bet preflop, I don't fool around on the flop, especially out of position.

The pot is 13.50, right? You have an SPR of 7.3 [ (104.70-6.50)/13.50 ], I bet the pot or almost the pot. Probably $12. If he raises, I just get it all in now. Worst case, you can runner runner the flush [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Do all you NL experts agree?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM

I agree a pot-sized bet is probably better. I wanted to keep my bet sort fo standard, and I had been c-bet 3/4 pot basically all the time.

Anyhow, I pushed now and he folded after some thought, so I suppose he had either a draw or a smallish overpair.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:29 PM

bet more on the flop.

i wonder if CRAI on a blank turn wouldn't be a solid choice.

even if i rereaised the flop, i don't think i would shove. probably get it up to $70 straight and get the rest in on the turn. seems like he might get pot stuck with a pair that way.

i just don't think shoving into such a small pot is going to get called by much worse hands outside of draws. just make it unprofitable for a draw to call, try to suck a pair in and shove the turn(IMO).
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet more on the flop.

i wonder if CRAI on a blank turn wouldn't be a solid choice.

even if i rereaised the flop, i don't think i would shove. probably get it up to $70 straight and get the rest in on the turn. seems like he might get pot stuck with a pair that way.

i just don't think shoving into such a small pot is going to get called by much worse hands outside of draws. just make it unprofitable for a draw to call, try to suck a pair in and shove the turn(IMO).

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very good. I'm a bit lost on hands like these, and I just feel glad after the push takes it down, but (I think) I should be thinking about sucking out value from this, rather than being afraid of being behind, or getting outdrawn.

I'll have to keep your line in mind in the future.