Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 AM

Default What limits should i play at?

Evening guys, I have a bit of a strange question for you all.

I have read all the books, etc, and have played just over 500 tourneys (30k tourney hands) Am up 55% over these, so figure i kinda know what im doing.

Most of these tourneys were $6 on stars, and i am currently (successfully, but its still too early to say) taking shots at the $10 tourneys.

Now, my short stacked shoving game is excellent, but i feel i need to play some cash games, to play some 'real poker' and thus expand my horizons

So, what sort of limits on stars should i start at? I feel i need some sort of guidance, as i dont want to start too high/low

All help much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: What limits should i play at?

whats your BR?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:29 AM

BR is prolly 3k or so

Any help?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM

You are rolled for 100nl but probably wont beat it right away if all your experience is tourneys.
Start at nl25/nl50
Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Play 25NL, and just eat/sleep/live the forums if you want to get good quick. Post as many interesting hands a day you can find (obv not flodding the forums with trivial decisions). And just go from there.

30K hands isn't a lot, despite you having played 500 tourneys, if you're not doing about 20k-30k hands a month in cash games it will take a very long time to improve.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 AM

You have 1000 posts so I think you have the ability to read the archive of uNL posts, play maybe 10-20k hands at NL50 playing nitty tag; loosen up for 10k hands; then come back post a load and see how you're doing. If it's going ok i'd suggest moving up to NL100 and seeing how you fare. Don't be afraid to drop down or take a break and go back to tournies if it's not working out.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM

I'd say play 50k hands of NL$50.
You won't drop too much when you make mistakes, and most opponents won't be very tough. However, there are a lot more reasonably decent players at NL$50 than at NL$25, so it'll prepare you better for moving up.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM

I think your bankroll is only part of it.

There are so MAJOR adjustments you will need to make from tournies to cash. You will have no idea of these without posting hands here or chatting with good players on IM . The problem now is that you have a lot of tournie practices stuck in you that will be automatic and you will just not think to re-adjust quite a lot of them as you move into cash games (cuz they are automatic obv). This is where discussing hands with no limit cash games players helps.

I would suggest playing 25nl and posting a lot of hands until you get a good idea of a bunch of these with hand discussions by cash players. Once you get a lot of these ironed out (this could easily take months and months to undo some totally whack plays that might be ok in tournies but not in cash games), then you can spend like 40k hands at each limit and if u are a winner there just move up when you have 40k hands of a decent win rate + min 25 buy-ins for the new limit. Since each limit doubles, there is really only like 3 limit rises before you are at the $200 tables (or 4 limit rises before the $400 tables) and this is a good amount of money.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM

5K hands @ NL25, 10K hands @ NL50. Move up from NL50 only after you've shown a good profit.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 AM

I think that while only a few k hands is fine, I also think that it will take a larger initial step to fix up differences betw moving from tournies to cash.