Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Default This hand made me feel weak

50$ Freezeout tournament in Oslo cardroom yesterday. Play in this tournament is typically loose-agressive.

I show up 45 minutes late, and have just gotten my t10k stack from the floor manager. A new hand is starting as I arrive at my seat, put my stack down, and tell the dealer to deal me in.

Big blind is t50, 9-handed.

I have t10 000 obviously
MP seems to have a bit more than t25 000
Button has something like t15 000

Preflop: Fiksdal is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP raises to t600, 2 folds

<font color="blue">I see the raise, and am a bit confused, I start thinking the blinds might be at t200 or something, but no, they are at t50 like they should be since it's the first hour. I'm still taking off my jacket and sitting down and stuff</font>

Fiksdal calls t600, Button calls t600, 2 folds.

<font color="blue"> I'm a bit off myself after this, because normally I'd re-raise with AK, but the huge raise confused me.</font>

Flop:(Pot is t1875) (3 Players) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
MP bets t1900, Fiksdal folds.

Please discuss!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: This hand made me feel weak

So this tourny allows you to show up late without getting blinded away? Show up even later next time, like when it's heads up already, sit down and get a nice 3rd place payday, lol. Okay on to the hand:

MP1 I'd say is pretty damn aggressive. He's already doubled his stack, plus taken another 5000 on top of that. He's either caught some cards, or he's pushing people off their hands. Even so, I'd probably give him credit for a big hand here and expect to be an underdog going to this flop. I mean 12x the bb?! I'd like to have seen his other raises and if he'd been doing this often, I'd definitely take a flop with him here and see if I catch something I think is enough to take him out, but given the lack of solid info, I'd think he's a donk thinking ZOMG! Aces! I can raise as much as I want! I don't mind the call in position, your hand is quite strong, but he comes right out and fires at that flop and you can only beat AQ, so you do the right thing and fold.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:06 PM

It's fine, although I'd just fold PF if not for the confusion.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Adanthar: Wow, you really fold preflop? What kind of range are you putting MP on?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM

Don't ask about range (for one thing, you don't know it). Ask about how to make a profit off this hand after a 12x raise.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Guess I'm still confused.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM

I think range is relevant. Is this guy raising 12xBB from mid position to build a pot with a big pair, does he do this with 99+, AQ+, or is he a maniac with who knows what. In level 1 of a live $50 freezeout, I would have a hard time folding AKs.

I think it is call or reraise preflop. The fold on the flop is standard.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess I'm still confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you're not putting in any chips without hitting postflop, and you're super deep so reraising preflop is ugly (people who 12x raise don't fold to an RR, especially not to some guy on his first hand).

so you call. now think about your implied odds, or possible lack thereof, and go from there.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(people who 12x raise don't fold to an RR, especially not to some guy on his first hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he will call any rr with 100% of his opening range?

In this case, his range is very important, because if I am ahead of it, pushing all-in will be +EV.