Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't it normal to do so? Unless you had a tab of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have always seen it done this way.

What do people think of the bartender's comment here?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stinky - Yes. If they just give me change in ones I have no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you have a problem with him asking? if you were going to stiff him, would you be embarrassed about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until the point where he asked me if I wanted singles, I was going to leave a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand why that bothers you. was there somethign in the tone?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Stiffing *DELETED*

Post deleted by Klompy

cabn, as discriminating as you are, if you ever read the Sports forum you would have had Vyse on ignore about a year ago.

[ QUOTE ]
and as for the guy that said the 6+ person included tip rule is dumb, it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with this rule for reasons previously stated (and I will obviously defer to the industry folks on this as they've been there, done that). However, I think six is too low of a number to start this at. Eight is totally acceptable. As mentioned, six is three couples or a small group.

Certainly as NT! wrote, there will be the occasional person with alligator arms, but I take exception to an 18-20% auto-gratuity for a group of six, particularly if we're one of those tables where alcohol is the balance of our tab. If they must do this I would prefer a 15% auto-gratuity and leave any extra up to our discretion. After all, it's still a nice ring and servers obviously prefer larger groups to individuals or couples.

EDIT: there is also as previously stated the possibility that the auto-tip will result in lazy service. The whole point of gratuity is that it is something to be EARNED, not in a groveling or subservient fashion, rather as a function of doing your job well.

it seems as though i have misinterpreted the situation. seems now like he had a tab or something.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. keep in mind i had erroneously pictured the situation as he was ordering 6 beers at one time to take down to the party.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the reasons I've gathered:

-- Because everyone does it.
-- Because in America you're supposed to and that's why you go out to eat.
-- Because they don't get paid well.

Does that cover all the bases? Well, fine: I don't care about any of those reasons. Those reasons have no bearing on my own decision-making process. My standard is simple: live up to my expectations when I go out to eat and you will be greatly rewarded. Disagree with my expectations? Something else entirely. Since my expectations are so rarely met, I intentionally tip big when they are met to reward them. If not, I never go back there again and I don't tip. If that's such a gross "miserly" conduct, I will somehow manage to live with myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guy, when 30 people are calling you a douchebag and you're the only one left vehemently defending your point, you should step back and take a look at the situation.

Restaurants in America are set up for tipping. They are paid far below minimum wage because of the fact that they make money from tips. If tipping didn't exist, stuff on the menu would cost approximately 15% more to make up for it. What would you do then, not go out to eat?

You are freeloading on the system. This is why you are a douche. If everyone acted the way you did, the industry would have to change. But you clearly know all of this and still think you should be exempt so I don't know why I'm bothering.

[ QUOTE ]
cabn, as discriminating as you are, if you ever read the Sports forum you would have had Vyse on ignore about a year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you know, be as virtuous and pretentious as tug and refuse to ignore me simply because... well, whatever scenario you concocted to justify the torture you put yourself through. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my college graduation dinner, I went upstairs to the bar with my cousins to get a drink. We ordered about three beers each and at the end of the third, the bartender said, "hey do you guys plan on leaving a tip... I have to make a living you know." (I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered) I told him "not anymore" and went back downstairs

After spending over a grand downstairs, I was slmost tempted to ask for the manager of the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clarify, are you saying you were planning on tipping at the end but then didn't because he asked? is there a reason you weren't tipping for each drink? was it on a tab or were you paying cash for each round?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he was paying cash but what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill? why not just wait until all six beers are served and then tip? i assume he was waiting at the bar for the 6 to be poured or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case. I was only planning on having one, so when I got a 2nd and third I just paid in cash. I was going to leave a generous tip, but who says this? Also, the service was horrible in general was we had to get the bartender's attention every time we wanted a drink.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is you're simply making generic descriptions of actions with no explanation. "Don't tip = [censored]." Okay. That kind of thinking has never bothered me and never will. Don't like my reasons? Then point out the logical flaw. Can't? Agree to disagree. Interpret one reasoned action as a indictment of my character because... um, why again?

[/ QUOTE ]

i already gave you a reason. there is an implied contract between you and the server that you will tip. it is customary to do so. you are receiving services in bad faith when you go in and say "live up to my random and unreasonable expectations and i will shower you with gifts." you know that the person is going to provide you a basic service with the expected return of a small cost, and you refuse to pay it.

[ QUOTE ]
Since my expectations are so rarely met, I intentionally tip big when they are met to reward them. If not, I never go back there again and I don't tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically, you either go out to eat extremely rarely, or you live somewhere you can hit-and-run on servers until they forget you and you can slither back in. if there's nothing wrong with not tipping, why don't you go back there? or better yet, if almost every restaurant you go to fails to meet your expectations, why do you keep going out?

because your story is just a cover for the fact that you're an antisocial cheapskate. or you're simply trolling/lying, another strong possibility.